Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Marc C.
  • Buy-and-Hold Rental Investor
  • Santa Fe, NM
Votes |
Syndicators: Why can't we make distribution calculations simpler?

Marc C.
  • Buy-and-Hold Rental Investor
  • Santa Fe, NM
Posted

Many syndicators/sponsors are offering a "waterfall" payout arrangement to their investors, whereby the investor first gets a "preferred return "of 8%, and then 75% of any cash flow left over after the preferred return is paid, plus 75% of the equity upon sale or refinance. An internal rate of return may also be mentioned...after the investor hits the promised IRR (15-23%), the split might change to 50/50. The sponsor gets the other 25% (or 50%), plus a 1-3% acquisition fee, a 1-3% disposal fee, a 1-3% annual asset management fee. If they have a property management arm, then they get 6% for management. If they're a broker, then they get to keep any brokerage fees.

It sounds complicated, because it is. I am invested in 5 passive deals, and each has a little different waterfall and fee structure. And uses different language in the Operating Agreement to explain the distributions. I can't really tell you that I understand all the terms...and I'm in the business! How is this investor friendly at all? 

Meanwhile, for the sponsor, the 8% payments commence within 30-60 days of closing on the property...regardless of the property's actual performance. It's like paying interest on a note: No flexibility. If it's a value-add deal, it's quite possible there won't be sufficient cash flow to cover the preferred return for 6, 12, 18 mos. Meaning it becomes like a ponzi scheme: You have to raise enough from investors to pay those investors their promised returns until the property can do it! (I'm surprised the banks even go for it, frankly, as it is like a seller-carry 2nd for 8% interest-only...equivalent to a "no money down" deal. 

I would sure rather not have required 8% payments hanging over my head as I concentrate on remodeling and turning around the building. 

I heard one syndicator on a Joe Fairless podcast (wish I could find it...are you reading this Joe?) say he does it differently: He takes 20% of the cash flow if there is any, and 20% of the equity on resale or finance. THAT'S ALL. 

It's sort of the Hedge Fund model (except those rarely get 20% of the profits...it's ALL in the backend except for an annual management fee.) No preferred return. His investors share in the pain of having no cash flow during the startup months, but they don't have to pay out acquisition or asset management fees. It all seems so clean and simple...so why doesn't anyone else do it? 

Happy Super Bowl Day! 

Go Team! Beat Opponent!

Loading replies...