Trying different approach to MF investing - Am I crazy?

Trying different approach to MF investing - Am I crazy?

Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 11 votes

Hey guys,

I'll start with my questions:

  1. Do you know of anyone who has tried a strategy like mine?
  2. In your professional opinion, Is it possible or am I wasting my limited time?
  3. If I'm not being crazy, what advice would you have for me?

I am aware that in order for one to be motivated towards a goal they need to be actively working on that goal.  Motivation rarely comes first, and it can be fleeting.  I want to work on this, but I am struggling

I am having trouble moving the ball forward when it comes to investing in multi-family. Part of the problem is that my strategy is a little different from the normal route of acquiring buildings here in BiggerPockets, and I'm not really sure how to move forward. Hoping you guys could give me some guidance.

We have a couple of real investors (private as well as capital firms) that are interested in what we are calling our "Off Market Opportunities Program" as long as we can actually get the program to work. 

In a nut shell we have identified multiple underutilized 1960's era 5-20 unit buildings in our area that we believe would bring in higher rents if upgraded. These buildings are located inCOASTAL Southern California, all buildings have either a 0% vacancy rate, or close to it. They rarely, if ever, post available units online, its essentially all word-of-mouth.

The reason we are targeting buildings that are not currently for sale is because we believe in the power of just asking.  You'd be amazed the things you can get if you simply just ask.  We want to explore that philosophy in the multi-family market.

Another reason for us looking at buildings that are not for sale is that we are trying to reduce competition.  In Southern California, as in any hot market, (San Fran, Vancouver) the second a multi-family building hits the market, there is a sea of offers.  We are trying to find our niché. 

The problem is...these buildings are not for sale. This makes writing an offer difficult as I am not aware of their expenses. This also poses a problem because viewing the units is near impossible due to the 0% vacancy. Prospective tenants aren't very discerning regarding the units; due to the lack of supply they are just happy to get a place in town (affluent area, not a lot of lower income rentals.)

I have contacted all the buildings inquiring about rents, so I am generally aware of how much they bring in and what their mix is. But have no idea what their perceived CAP is (CAP is also hard to nail down due to almost no multifamily buildings being sold in the last few years in this area), nor do I know what their operating expenses are.

My strategy at this point is (and please, any input is appreciated): 

  1. Locate potential re-positionable buildings. (done)
  2. Estimate buildings current value based off current income, est. expenses, est. CAP, and est. improvement costs.
  3. Est. what we believe the building could bring in post-improvements.  
  4. Based on above, Write offer.
  5. Send offer to seller and see if there's any interest in selling.
  6. Adjust strategy and repeat.

Now, for the record I have never purchased a multi-family building. I have never written an offer. My background is in land development / entitlements.  But I am very interested in forced appreciation and creating a income generating portfolio.  

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
10y

I employ the idea of finding properties not for sale yet, either.  I first attempt a dialogue with the owner, usually beginning with a simple letter of interest.  

I know what the buildings are roughly worth and I don't begin with an offer, though.  These take time to cultivate, usually. Sometimes years.  Good luck, Adam!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    I employ the idea of finding properties not for sale yet, either.  I first attempt a dialogue with the owner, usually beginning with a simple letter of interest.  

    I know what the buildings are roughly worth and I don't begin with an offer, though.  These take time to cultivate, usually. Sometimes years.  Good luck, Adam!

  • Developer · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 169 votes
    10y

    Your strategy can and does work, on some rare occasions. The person best positioned to make these kind of off-market offers is a property manager. They develop a relationship with the property owner, they know the numbers, and they can often buy under preferential terms when an owner gets tired. 

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 538 posts · 432 votes
    10y

    I applaud your strategy.  Thinking outside of the box to avoid competition is a grat plan.  Good luck with building your portfolio!

  • Rental Property Investor · Doylestown, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Hi @Adam Sherritt - When you first contact the owner you don't know the numbers but if they show in interest in selling you will begin the dialogue that leads you to not only the numbers but other valuable insights (ie: whether they are willing to do seller financing, hold a 2nd, other properties they may have for sale, or maybe that the lot next to it is owned by them as well and could be used for further development etc).  Good luck!

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    All good replies. I specialize in 5-50 units in the core urban area of Houston so I'm very familiar with the niche you're going after. Take a soft approach when contacting the owners and expect 90% of them to tell you they're not sellers. For the other 10%, you shouldn't have any problem opening up dialogue and getting their P&L. If they're not willing to share a P&L or a list of expenses then that's a pretty good indicator that they aren't a real seller. Always ask them what number they would consider selling at. Don't settle until you get an answer.. because you're likely to hear "I don't know just make me a good offer.." Well what's a good offer to you Mr. Seller? You get the idea. Good luck!

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 359 posts · 143 votes
    10y

    I don't think you need to run numbers until you know that the owner is interested in selling. If they are interested in selling they should be willing to share there expenses with you. Trust but verify.


    But why would these owner want to sell?

    Sounds like they probably already get top rates with 0 vacancy just because of the location. I think you need to find a pain point for these types of landlords like high turnover or wanting to retire.

  • Property Manager · Fitchburg, MA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    I too would find out it the owners have ANY interest before spending any time estimating an offer. Also, perhaps start with properties that have some vacancy showing room for improvement, maybe a little off the most popular beaten path. 

  • Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Thanks all for the great responses. I think the overall consensus is to send a LOI to the owners, and work only on the buildings that show interest. This is a smart thought. I remember a meeting with an investor last year sometime and while I was asking him about evaluating financials his first question was, "how many do you have under contract?" My answer was zero. He was adamant about only spending time on buildings that you are contracted with.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.