Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Twombly
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
Why we don't invest in New York, even though we're based here

Jonathan Twombly
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Posted

People frequently ask me why I don't invest in deals in New York, even though we're based here.  The reason is simple:  it's too hard to make money for your investors in New York.  That's a huge reason why we invest in the Southeast, along with more owner-friendly laws, a growing population, etc.

But this Real Deal article I just came across says it all:  Data shows that New York County (i.e., Manhattan) is the least profitable county for owners in the entire United States.

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/04/01/least-profitable-county-for-rental-landlords-new-york-data-shows/

User Stats

Votes
Jared Delaney
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied

Another crazy thing in NYC is the mortgage recording tax which adds a lot to the closing and all in price.

User Stats

Votes
Grace B.
  • New York City
Votes |
  • New York City
Replied

I read the entire discussion about NYC investments, mostly written 9 yrs ago. I am wondering if the opportunities have turned positive or more competitive now in 2023. It will be a good pal wow to discuss in the BPCON 2023 as a subgroup. I wonder who in this discussion chain is going? I am curious. I like to hear you'all your reflections.  

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777