Building an Apartment complex

Building an Apartment complex

Investor · Rio Rancho, NM · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 4 votes

Hello everyone, my wife and I are looking at purchasing land (3 AC) zoned multifamily (R6) and building a small apartment complex. The reason behind is that we can't find any small apartments in our market that fit our criteria and second we would like to own it for 20 years or more, so building a new one will be less maintenance. We have some RE experience (currently own a few) and built a duplex in the past but nothing this big. Of course we'll put together a qualified team to help us with this task.

I have some questions on this idea though and hope I can tap on your experience and wisdom:

1. We'll start with a 6 or 8 units building on a portion of the 3 AC land as that's all we can finance at this time. The idea is to build additional units as we can afford or look for investor. Is this a good idea or is it better to look for financing/investors to develop the entire 3 AC land right away?

2. The land is located in front of a middle school and behind Lowes and near high end homes. What makes an ideal location for an apartment building? How do I determine if this is an ideal location? Are there any websites that tells you if your market doesn't have enough apartments or too much?

We currently have a couple of SFHs and small Multifamilies (fourplex/duplex) and was inspired by the BP podcast about the small apartment buildings and the benefits it provides. I welcome any feedback and comments.

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2010 · 308 posts · 230 votes
12y

Hello @Eddie Quispe do you belong to AANM? http://www.aanm.org/ They have a market report for Greater Albuquerque as other areas around the state. Hendricks Berkadia has a market review/forecast on their research site here: http://www.apartmentupdate.com registration is required but is free.

Good hunting-

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2010 · 308 posts · 230 votes
    12y

    Hello @Eddie Quispe do you belong to AANM? http://www.aanm.org/ They have a market report for Greater Albuquerque as other areas around the state. Hendricks Berkadia has a market review/forecast on their research site here: http://www.apartmentupdate.com registration is required but is free.

    Good hunting-

  • Investor · Rio Rancho, NM · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Thanks Giovanni, great info, I just signed up with Hendricks Berkadia. I forgot about AANM, I just registered for their next breakfast on Feb 14. I appreciate the information!

  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2010 · 308 posts · 230 votes
    12y

    You're welcome @Eddie Quispe Let us all know what you decide to do-

  • Syndicator and Fund Manager · Victor, NY · Member since 2012 · 760 posts · 345 votes
    12y
    Eddie Quispe 1. Try looking for financing and investors upfront just so you can get an idea of what the market is. It's helpful to do this even if you only plan on building the 8 units as phase one. At least you can see what the appetite is out there in your local market. 2. Really depends on what you're trying to build and what demographic you're targeting? Working class? Luxury? Look at schools, housing stats for that town, upcoming competition, vacancy rates of existing competition, nearby jobs, retail, schools, ect. Lots to consider here. Could have an appraiser do a feasibility study for you or try doing one yourself. Not really that hard of you put in he homework.
  • Investor · Rio Rancho, NM · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    @Derek Carrol Thanks!

    Looks like there is a lot I need to learn... ;) I am going thru the podcasts and posts searching for the things you recommended on item 2. You are right some of the information is already available and not that hard to find, such as schools; they are ranked top school district in the state and the area has some middle and high end homes within a 4 miles radio.

  • Investor · Rio Rancho, NM · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the feedback, these last few days I made a lot of phone calls and it has been such a great learning experience. The more I talk about this deal with other people it seems I am better off to develop the entire lot (3ACs). The reason behind is that to bring utilities to the property will be expensive if I only build 8 units. Building more units will offset the cost of bringing utilities and will bring down the cost to build per unit.

    It was a great learning experience to call the utility companies and ask for ballpark costs to bring utilities to the property, I didn't know they do that. To bring electricity from across the street is about 40K... yikes!!! So... the search continues.... Thanks again!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.