Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Marquis Cobb
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas NV
Votes |
Sponsor for syndication

Marquis Cobb
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas NV
Posted Jan 19 2023, 13:10

Hello All, 

I recently just finished my paid mentorship for apartment syndication and ready to take down my first deal. If you know anything about commercial multifamily you know it takes a lot of upfront capital and when you are starting fresh banks require you to have someone on your team who has experience and the right net worth depending on the property. This is where I am struggling. I have been building relationships in my target market and underwriting deals. I have a deal that meets my criteria and will have good returns for investors but I cannot find a sponsor to partner with. I have reached out to many people that are also apart of my mentorship program but I never get responses. Anyone have any tips to show sponsors I'm for real or know anyone who would be interested in sponsoring a deal? 

Thank you in advance 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 5 2023, 04:37
Quote from @Marquis Cobb:

Hello All, 

I recently just finished my paid mentorship for apartment syndication and ready to take down my first deal. If you know anything about commercial multifamily you know it takes a lot of upfront capital and when you are starting fresh banks require you to have someone on your team who has experience and the right net worth depending on the property. This is where I am struggling. I have been building relationships in my target market and underwriting deals. I have a deal that meets my criteria and will have good returns for investors but I cannot find a sponsor to partner with. I have reached out to many people that are also apart of my mentorship program but I never get responses. Anyone have any tips to show sponsors I'm for real or know anyone who would be interested in sponsoring a deal? 

Thank you in advance 

Sorry to be blunt but if you just took your first mentorship that does not qualify you to be ready for your first deal. If you just took a class on flying an airplane are you ready to go fly across the country yourself?

You need to market the deal to others. What "mentorship" did you take? What "promises" did they make for you.

Most of these mentorship courses are a joke and just puts money in their pocket while teaching you what could have been taught in a one hour free webinar.

User Stats

Votes
Gerardo Waisbaum
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Jul 5 2023, 08:57

@Arn CenedellaI agree with your viewpoint on the importance of gaining practical experience before handling larger deals and other people's capital. That being said, I believe that there are multiple paths to getting there.

Mentorship programs are a great way to expedite this process, especially if they offer opportunities for practical experience. They allow new investors to learn from experienced ones in a structured and safe environment.

One of the key benefits of such programs is the ability to participate in deals alongside more experienced investors. This can be done either by sourcing deals and offering them to the community in exchange for a portion of the GP, or by raising capital for others' deals. In both cases, you get to be part of the team and learn from the process, acquiring invaluable practical experience that will serve you well in your future endeavors.

These methods allow for learning and growth without needing to risk a substantial amount of one's own capital or the capital of others prematurely. As the saying goes, you're learning to fly the plane while it's still on the ground. This approach supports the "slow and steady" philosophy you mentioned, while still allowing for considerable progress and learning.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Justin Burch
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jul 5 2023, 09:19

To attract potential sponsors for your first commercial multifamily deal, try these strategies:

1. Highlight your transferable skills, achievements, and education from your mentorship program to enhance credibility.

2. Expand your network by attending industry events, joining online forums, and engaging with professionals in the commercial multifamily space.

3. Thoroughly analyze and underwrite potential deals to showcase your due diligence and seriousness.

4. Develop a comprehensive business plan outlining your strategy, target market, and expected returns to present an attractive proposal.

5. Utilize online platforms and communities dedicated to real estate syndication to connect with potential sponsors.

6. Get involved with local real estate associations and investor groups to build connections with sponsors in your target market.

7. Be persistent, follow up with individuals, and express your continued interest and progress.

User Stats

Votes
Arn Cenedella
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Jul 5 2023, 09:21

@Gerardo Waisbaum

Yes many paths to get to the goal. 

I did note that if one wants to go direct to MF, it would be best to join a team in a “supporting” role to start. Do 3 or 4 deals that way and then perhaps move on to a lead sponsor role. 

And of course “supporting” roles vary greatly from deal to deal and from lead sponsor to lead sponsor. Is the “supporting” role primarily capital raise? What’s the actual involvement in the day to day operation of the asset? What level of input and responsibility does the newbie actually have?

In some cases, it won’t be much. Most experienced operators have their team in place and have most roles covered  

Each person needs to figure out the best path for them. You are so correct, there are Multiple paths. 

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jul 5 2023, 11:52
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

@Marquis Cobb

Unfortunately a lot of those trainings will sell you on raising money and finding a sponsor is easy, and unfortunately it is not, especially with no experience.

Keep networking and hopefully you find something

agreed! keep networking!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 28 2024, 10:30
Ok Guys, I am not understanding the terms you used here. The GP is the one considered as SPONSOR not the limited partners.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 28 2024, 10:58
Quote from @Chris Seveney:
Quote from @Marquis Cobb:

Hello All, 

Thank you in advance 

Sorry to be blunt but if you just took your first mentorship that does not qualify you to be ready for your first deal. If you just took a class on flying an airplane are you ready to go fly across the country yourself?

You need to market the deal to others. What "mentorship" did you take? What "promises" did they make for you.

Most of these mentorship courses are a joke and just puts money in their pocket while teaching you what could have been taught in a one hour free webinar.

I agree, I would never paid for a mentorship, all the information is out there.