Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Owais Hassan
  • Clearwater, FL
Votes |
Find REO and Foreclosures in Pinellas County, FL

Owais Hassan
  • Clearwater, FL
Posted Nov 13 2017, 19:46

Hi Everyone,

I live in Pinellas county FL and am new to the real estate arena. I need some guidance in finding great deals on REO and Foreclosure properties in Pinellas county. I also looked into county auctions and read a lot of threads on this site, but I am hesitant to jump in without much experience. My ideal property would a duplex or a single family home.

I would like to learn the process of finding foreclosure, REO and Short Sale properties. I would also like to learn more about the county auctions.

I would much appreciate any help and education you can provide.

Best Regards-

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Copeland
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL
Replied Nov 14 2017, 05:18

All REOs and Short Sales end up on the MLS when they are ready for sale, so all you need in that regard is a solid local real estate agent. Different banks have different pricing formulas. Some are good deals, many are not.

You'll see a lot of chatter on here and in other places about "pre-forclosures". The Holy Grail of real estate investing is finding an owner/seller with a lot of equity who is facing foreclosure and is thus desperate to sell. The problem with the Holy Grail is it's really difficult to find, and everyone else is looking for it too. And if an owner/seller had a lot of equity, why on earth would they be in foreclosure? (They could just sell the house and pay off their mortgage). I'm not saying these opportunities don't exist, but they are increasingly hard to find. 

All that being said, the foreclosure process starts with the filing of a document called a "Lis Pendens" (latin for "litigation pending"), usually after the property owner is 3+ months behind on their mortgage. You can search the public records for these in Pinellas County at https://ccmspa.pinellascounty.org/PublicAccess/def...

It can be months or years (or never) between the Lis Pendens and a foreclosure judgement. 

The foreclosure judgement comes after a court hearing and an auction where the property is either sold at auction or retained by the bank as an REO (if nobody outbids the amount of the foreclosure judgement).

Pinellas County foreclosure auctions are 100% online. You can learn more about this process at https://pinellas.realforeclose.com/index.cfm?zacti...

It can several more months (depending on title work and the bank's workflow, backlog, etc) after the foreclosure judgement before the property is ready for sale as an REO. At this time it gets listed with a realtor and sold on the open market, as noted above.

The mid Florida regional MLS has a category under special sales provision called "Bank Owned/REO" - so it only takes a second for a realtor to pull these up. As of this morning, there are 60 active REO single family home listings in Pinellas County.

With regards for short sales (which are also on the MLS under special sales provision/Shore Sale)...check out this post.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Owais Hassan
  • Clearwater, FL
Votes |
  • Clearwater, FL
Replied Nov 14 2017, 07:07

Thank you so much for the detailed reply, Jeff. It helped me get more educated on the process. I really appreciate it.

I looked at the first link to Pinellas County case search site but I am a bit confused because in order to search, it requires you to enter some basic information about a case (like a last name, case # or filing date) which I don't have. Is there a way to do a wide search without requiring to enter this information? Sorry if my question is very basic.

Thanks!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.