Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dan Hoehn
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
Xome.com Auction Winner?

Dan Hoehn
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Posted

I recently bid on a property through xome.com and was outbid. I have since moved on and now they are coming back saying that the property is available to me because the highest bidder has backed out. I have a strong suspicion that the Auctioneer/Bank was the 'high bidder', which it clearly states in the terms of the auction that this is possible. Since I have moved on, I am still interested, but would like to get it for less than my highest bid. Has anyone had experience with this? 

User Stats

Votes
Dan Hoehn
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Replied

update - I spoke to customer service at Xome.com and they lowered my bid, and it is now under review by the seller.

User Stats

Votes
Kim Martin
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wenatchee, WA
Replied

Hi Dan - good for you!  Banks do that all the time (bid against us or "say" they have another offer and ask for best and final and get away with it.  Best of luck to you on your deal!  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Arianne L.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Fort Walton Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Fort Walton Beach, FL
Replied

@Dan Hoehn Sounds like you managed to get ahold of someone from xome. That's great. I bought a few properties from them. I've found that they've been pretty straightforward and easy to work with. I feel that they actually are trying to liquidate inventory fairly quickly. Whereas the other auction sites can keep relisting for months and month. 

Best of luck!

Ask Arianne Logo

User Stats

Votes
Stanley Choung
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Florida
Replied

Good for you, Dan. I didn't fare so well.

Same thing happened to me two weeks ago for a property in NJ. The person in charge of auction wasn't forthcoming with any information. Customer service was better and explained to me that they would not lower the price but I was free to withdraw my latest bid with no penalty. I decided to stay in and I am now in the process of closing. 

Warning. As the buyer you are responsible for any inspections and paperwork required by the county or state to close...even if the seller normally submits the forms. This is the case for NJ Transfer of Ownership form. The Xome closing agent sent me a sloppy email that did not state this clearly. I had to find the form myself, get seller to sign, and submit.  

User Stats

Votes
Dan Hoehn
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Replied

Thanks for the insight Stanley, I will definitely look into that. Thus far my communication with Xome has been positive. My offer was officially submitted today, it is now going to the seller for review.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Gutierrez
Agent
  • Wichita, KS
Votes |
Agent
  • Wichita, KS
Replied

Dan, did you end up getting it?

User Stats

Votes
Dan Hoehn
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Replied

Hey @Daniel Gutierrez, unfortunately I did not. It was a messed up situation, the brokerage that was working on behalf of the bank screwed up and ended up pulling the property. Everyone on the Xome side was helpful, I can't say the same for the brokerage. 

User Stats

Votes
Phil Capron
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied

That's a shame, Dan. Keep grinding! It's a numbers game

User Stats

Votes
Shelly F.
  • Realtor
  • NW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • NW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
Replied

I am interested in working with them, may I ask what kind of financing you did for your purchase through xome?

User Stats

Votes
Dan Hoehn
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Replied

I think most of the auction purchases are Cash only.

User Stats

Votes
Keisha Santa
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied

Do you wait until the last minute to bid on a property that you are interested 

User Stats

Votes
Vandana Y shah
  • cumming, ga
Votes |
  • cumming, ga
Replied

Has anyone had any luck having xome.com send you the title before signing the purchase agreement

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Galvin Duesler
  • Wyoming, PA
Votes |
  • Wyoming, PA
Replied

I'm in the process with XOME now... I put in a full price offer Pre-Auction with the thinking that it would have been accepted and a done deal and not even making it to auction. Unfortunately that was not the case and it was declined and has since gone to auction. I'l be interested to see how this unfolds. 

User Stats

Votes
Rich Baer
  • Real Estate Investment Attorney
  • Kingsville, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investment Attorney
  • Kingsville, MD
Replied

@Galvin Duesler

I have had success with them. One successful method I have used is to watch the auction over several weeks. Keep an eye on the high price bid over each unsuccessful auction. Their Banks seem to require at least 3 auctions before they will deal. On the 4th auction if you are the high bidder, even if the reserve has not been met, they are more inclined to negotiate with you.

User Stats

Votes
Galvin Duesler
  • Wyoming, PA
Votes |
  • Wyoming, PA
Replied

@RichBaer 

Thank you I'll definitely keep that in mind. 

User Stats

Votes
Sam Shueh
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Replied

I doubt banks are allowed to hire someone to compete . In my case mine was the highest but they did not sell to me. In fact there has been a REO(rare here) that was MLS, Xome, auction. Wife stated someone was showing inside yesterday. Buying a distressed properties never a sure thing.