Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Blake
Votes |
Buying Foreclosures, best strategy

Jacob Blake
Posted Jul 9 2024, 05:28

Hello All, 

My wife and I have decided to get in the real estate game and have recently began looking into foreclosures. I know it requires a lot of homework and due diligence.  Would it be wise to hire a real estate attorney for all of the “dirty” work?   What are some good foreclosure strategies?

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jul 9 2024, 09:33

Hey Jacob,

Hiring a real estate attorney can be a smart move, especially for navigating the legal complexities involved in purchasing foreclosed properties. They can help with title searches, ensuring all liens are cleared, and handling any legal issues that may arise during the process. However, it obviously comes with a fee. So consider your expenses! As for foreclosure strategies, thorough research is key. Look for properties with potential for value appreciation, understand local market conditions, and be prepared with financing options. Attending auctions, negotiating directly with banks, and exploring short sales are all viable strategies depending on your investment goals and risk tolerance. Another effective approach can be targeting pre-foreclosure properties where you negotiate directly with distressed homeowners before the property goes to auction. This allows for potentially lower purchase prices and more flexible terms. Hope this helps. Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions, would like to discuss financing options, or if you need help analyzing some deals!

User Stats

Votes
Bob P.#2 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jul 11 2024, 19:24
Quote from @Jacob Blake:

Hello All, 

My wife and I have decided to get in the real estate game and have recently began looking into foreclosures. I know it requires a lot of homework and due diligence.  Would it be wise to hire a real estate attorney for all of the “dirty” work?   What are some good foreclosure strategies?

I use strategies to buy before it goes to sale at auction which is actually a better way to do things. What questions do you have and what state are you in? 
Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Blake
Votes |
Replied Jul 11 2024, 19:47

Thanks Ty! I am in Michigan, which has the 6-12 month redemption period after sheriffs sale.  Which is why I have been looking for vacant properties, but they are much harder to find in my area, Battle Creek.  Bob do you contact the home owner directly?  

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jul 12 2024, 00:54
Quote from @Jacob Blake:

Thanks Ty! I am in Michigan, which has the 6-12 month redemption period after sheriffs sale.  Which is why I have been looking for vacant properties, but they are much harder to find in my area, Battle Creek.  Bob do you contact the home owner directly?  

Yes, of course. You can only buy a property when the seller agrees. We provide different techniques to locate the owner, and to make offers. They have to be approached in a non threatening way which we teach. And the time available to complete the process is short since there is a sale date, so we focus on making things happen smoothly and quickly.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 12 2024, 04:32

@Jacob Blake

How do you define “dirty work”. Attorneys are not cheap. Are you having them find the foreclosure sales, running and evaluating title? If so you would be dropping $500-$1000 for every property that is in the mix which then figure out what your win rate is and it could be expensive.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jul 12 2024, 07:49

@Jacob Blake what do you need an attorney to do?

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Stoudnour
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jul 12 2024, 08:12

Hey Jacob,

A good real estate attorney is invaluable if you’re going to take on this venture. There is a lot of useful information and individuals right here from whom you might be able to gather most of what you need. However, a local attorney can provide insights into specific local real estate laws and ordinances. I would recommend contacting your local government and requesting a list of properties with back taxes, then start analyzing the areas where you think you can add value.

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jul 15 2024, 09:07
Quote from @Jacob Blake:

Hello All, 

We have never used real estate attorney for dirty work regarding foreclosures or pre-foreclosures, other than to close the deal and/or deal with any issues that may come up in a contract.  On pre-foreclosures we have always dealt with the owner direct.  It it's a short sale that required us to deal with the bank we have dealt directly with the bank.  If it's an auction we have just dealt direct with the auctioneer.

Maybe on your first deal you have an attorney do what you call "dirty work" but the best way to learn is to deal with the owners directly yourself, get permission to deal with the bank and execute the transactions on your own. 

The Smith Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied Jul 15 2024, 09:32

Foreclosures are'nt what they used to be- many new investors think it's a fast track to an amazing deal. 

Many banks just hire a broker and sell their foreclosures off on the retail market like any other seller. 

As for auctions- now that there's HML and everyone and their mother thinks they are a real estate investor, auctions are mostly ridiculous. I see people pay OVER retail at auctions all of the time- sight unseen and as-is.

There's a possiblity to get a deal as a preforeclusure, but those are insanely competitive too. 

Deals come from LOTS of places, honestly, theyr'e all over the MLS in most markets. You just have to know how to recognize a deal and be willing and able to take fast, aggressive action, that's how you get the good stuff.

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 26 2024, 06:31
Quote from @Hunter Stoudnour:

Hey Jacob,

A good real estate attorney is invaluable if you’re going to take on this venture. There is a lot of useful information and individuals right here from whom you might be able to gather most of what you need. However, a local attorney can provide insights into specific local real estate laws and ordinances. I would recommend contacting your local government and requesting a list of properties with back taxes, then start analyzing the areas where you think you can add value.

@Hunter Stoudnour do you take on the responsibility of said back taxes once you own the property? I'm new to this and find this strategy interesting. Appreciate your insights on this!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 26 2024, 06:35
Quote from @Ty Coutts:

Hey Jacob,

Hiring a real estate attorney can be a smart move, especially for navigating the legal complexities involved in purchasing foreclosed properties. They can help with title searches, ensuring all liens are cleared, and handling any legal issues that may arise during the process. However, it obviously comes with a fee. So consider your expenses! As for foreclosure strategies, thorough research is key. Look for properties with potential for value appreciation, understand local market conditions, and be prepared with financing options. Attending auctions, negotiating directly with banks, and exploring short sales are all viable strategies depending on your investment goals and risk tolerance. Another effective approach can be targeting pre-foreclosure properties where you negotiate directly with distressed homeowners before the property goes to auction. This allows for potentially lower purchase prices and more flexible terms. Hope this helps. Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions, would like to discuss financing options, or if you need help analyzing some deals!

When hiring a RE attorney to help with the research you mentioned (title search, liens, etc) when starting out, would this be done before making an offer or a part of your due diligence while under contract? Appreciate your insights!

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Stoudnour
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jul 26 2024, 06:48

@Kelsey VanSleen

For a tax deed sale, essentially you will bid to pay off the tax lien that was placed on the property and then you will inherit the rights to ownership of that property if you are the winner. Every county does this process slightly different so I would look into what your local area does.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
The Easiest Way to Save 150 hours & $5,000 / year Stop the busy work and start growing your RE business with market leading APY & automated finances