Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jody Ellis
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Buying a foreclosed property at auction

Jody Ellis
Pro Member
Posted

Help!!  I want to bid on a foreclosed property offered from an online auction but want to know what due diligence should be considered besides financial analysis..... Any insight from my BP friends?!?!?

• Jody Ellis
  • User Stats

Votes
    Kristine Ann
    • Investor
    • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
    Votes |
    • Investor
    • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
    Replied

I'm new to foreclosures, too.  I've found that you can go to the county clerk and county tax websites and get some information on the property. You can see what taxes are delinquent and read through the foreclosure documents.

User Stats

Votes
    Peter Skcin
    • Real Estate Consultant
    • propnotify.com
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Consultant
    • propnotify.com
    Replied

When bidding on a foreclosed property in an online auction in Worcester, Massachusetts, besides financial analysis, you should conduct thorough due diligence by researching the property's title to check for any liens or unpaid taxes, inspecting the property's condition if possible, and understanding the local market trends. You can utilize online resources such as the Worcester County Registry of Deeds (https://massrods.com/worcester/) for title searches, Realtor (https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Worcester_MA) for market analysis, and Auction.com (https://www.auction.com/) for auction-specific details and property information.

BiggerPockets logo
    BiggerPockets
    |
    Sponsored
    Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
    Jody Ellis
    Pro Member
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    Replied

This is super helpful, thank you Peter!

• Jody Ellis
  • User Stats

Votes
    Ron S.#3 Foreclosures Contributor
    • Paradise, CA
    Votes |
    • Paradise, CA
    Replied

Would also be helpful to know if it is "in" foreclosure, or "foreclosed". You stated, foreclosed, so it implies the public auction occurred and that the auction now is an attempt by the owner to sell an REO. In theory (if not practice), if the foreclosure already occurred, any liens behind the foreclosing entity were wiped out. If it didn't, buyer beware but in any event and regardless of foreclosure vs foreclosed, get a title report so you know "who's on first".

User Stats

Votes
    Peter Mckernan
    Agent
    Pro Member
    • Residential Real Estate Agent
    • Irvine, CA
    Votes |
    Agent
    Pro Member
    • Residential Real Estate Agent
    • Irvine, CA
    Replied
    Quote from @Jody Ellis:

Help!!  I want to bid on a foreclosed property offered from an online auction but want to know what due diligence should be considered besides financial analysis..... Any insight from my BP friends?!?!?

Got a buddy in your same market that is an agent.. Could get you linked up with them if it is in that same market. 

Needed numbers PP, ARV, Repairs, Selling fees and holding fees

The McKernan Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
    Douglas Snook
    • Attorney
    • Attleboro, MA
    Votes |
    • Attorney
    • Attleboro, MA
    Replied

Deeds for Worcester County are on line so you can do some research there. Also visit the City/Town Hall website for tax collector and assessor. There should be a property card. That will give you the zoning code and other info (especially important if it is a multi family). If possible visit the property before hand to check out the lay of the land as it were. Compare what you see to the deed etc - there could be a shared driveway or some other easement.

Also if the building is occupied you will be dealing with an eviction as well so you will have to factor that into your costs/bid. In MA the former owner can bring a defense of a defective foreclosure to any eviction. This will drag out the process to get possession.