Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Steven Barr
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Where to find list of pre-foreclosures?

Steven Barr
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Jan 5 2024, 15:42

I went to the superior magistrate court clerk today for the list of pendants/notice of defaults, and they had no idea what I was talking about. Made calls to sheriffs dept and community planning and development. No one knows anything about this list. I called my local city court clerk and they did not have it and said I needed to try the county clerk (which is the superior court where I went in person)

I have heard you can go to the “local court of the clerk” and obtain this list that details all properties in pre-foreclosure 

Does anyone know where I can go to get this list? (besides online to pay for it)

Thx!

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Messer
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lima, Perú
Votes |
  • Lima, Perú
Replied Jan 6 2024, 06:46

Hey @Steven Barr, I suspect the various clerks were just being cranky and/or having a laugh at your expense.

Every county in Georgia has a physical "newspaper of record" where foreclosure notices (AKA "Notices of Sale Under Power") are required to be listed.

Fortunately, there's also a FREE website (https://www.georgiapublicnotice.com/) that aggregates data across multiple Georgia counties into a single, searchable database, bless their hearts!

Once on the site main page, select "Foreclosures" under the "Popular Searches" pulldown menu. Then, for example, if you want to see listings for Cobb County, set the "County" field to "Cobb." Then, hit the green "magnifying glass" icon down below and away you go!

Don't say BiggerPockets never helped you out!

User Stats

Votes
Steven Barr
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 7 2024, 04:50
Quote from @Mitch Messer:

Hey @Steven Barr, I suspect the various clerks were just being cranky and/or having a laugh at your expense.

Every county in Georgia has a physical "newspaper of record" where foreclosure notices (AKA "Notices of Sale Under Power") are required to be listed.

Fortunately, there's also a FREE website (https://www.georgiapublicnotice.com/) that aggregates data across multiple Georgia counties into a single, searchable database, bless their hearts!

Once on the site main page, select "Foreclosures" under the "Popular Searches" pulldown menu. Then, for example, if you want to see listings for Cobb County, set the "County" field to "Cobb." Then, hit the green "magnifying glass" icon down below and away you go!

@Mitch Messer hope you are well sir and great to hear from you! Been a minute

Are these pre-foreclosures or are they foreclosures?

They’re obviously listed under the foreclosure section, but it looks maybe they read as warnings? Mind clarifying?

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Messer
  • Lima, Perú
Votes |
  • Lima, Perú
Replied Jan 7 2024, 06:29
Quote from @Steven Barr:

They’re obviously listed under the foreclosure section, but it looks maybe they read as warnings? Mind clarifying? 

Let's define "pre-foreclosure" as anything that happens before the actual auction.

Under Georgia law, properties must be advertised in the specific county newspaper for four consecutive weeks prior to the auction sale on the first Tuesday of each month.

So yes, technically these are "pre-foreclosure" notices!

And these are definitely the folks you're trying to reach...

User Stats

Votes
Steven Barr
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 7 2024, 07:05
Quote from @Steven Barr:

Let's define "pre-foreclosure" as anything that happens before the actual auction.

Under Georgia law, properties must be advertised in the specific county newspaper for four consecutive weeks prior to the auction sale on the first Tuesday of each month.

@Mitch Messer super helpful! Thank you!

Would you happen to know where to obtain a list of people in the beginning stages of preforeclosure? Maybe they’ve only missed 2-3 mortgage payments?

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Messer
  • Lima, Perú
Votes |
  • Lima, Perú
Replied Jan 7 2024, 13:05
Quote from @Steven Barr:
Quote from @Steven Barr:

Would you happen to know where to obtain a list of people in the beginning stages of preforeclosure? Maybe they’ve only missed 2-3 mortgage payments? 

I sincerely doubt such a list exists, although each mortgage lender would know which of their own borrowers is behind, of course. They're never going to share that info, however. (For one thing, it would be a huge violation of privacy!)

Foreclosure is expensive and time-consuming, so most lenders won't even begin the process of foreclosure until payments are 4-6 months behind.

In a non-judicial foreclosure state like Georgia, the four weeks of public notices are all the advanced notice you're gonna get as an investor!

User Stats

Votes
Steven Barr
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 7 2024, 14:36

@Mitch Messer thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gimer
Pro Member
  • DMV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • DMV
Replied Jan 7 2024, 15:25

@Steven Barr I would be searching the land records for “lis pendens” filings which typically coincide with the first foreclosure filing in many jurisdictions. 

Also deed of appointment/ notice of appointment of substitute trustee. These are filed when a foreclosure law firm is retained and substituted in for the prior trustee(s). That’s a good early clue of default. 

User Stats

Votes
Ron S.#2 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
Votes |
  • Paradise, CA
Replied Jan 8 2024, 08:39
Quote from @Steven Barr:
Quote from @Steven Barr:

That would be called a credit report and for your purposes, there is no such list. Anyone telling you there is, is either lying to you or, obtaining nonpublic information without the authority to do so.

User Stats

Votes
Jill Patton
  • Investor
  • Wellington, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Wellington, FL
Replied Apr 22 2024, 08:38
Quote from @Steven Barr:

I went to the superior magistrate court clerk today for the list of pendants/notice of defaults, and they had no idea what I was talking about. Made calls to sheriffs dept and community planning and development. No one knows anything about this list. I called my local city court clerk and they did not have it and said I needed to try the county clerk (which is the superior court where I went in person)

I have heard you can go to the “local court of the clerk” and obtain this list that details all properties in pre-foreclosure 

Does anyone know where I can go to get this list? (besides online to pay for it)

Thx!

You can access that information on the PropStream website.   PropWire and Property Radar also have that information.

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Messer
  • Lima, Perú
Votes |
  • Lima, Perú
Replied Apr 22 2024, 12:19
Quote from @Jill Patton:
Quote from @Steven Barr:

Thx!

You can access that information on the PropStream website.   PropWire and Property Radar also have that information.

I see TWO major concerns with getting preforeclosure data from aggregators like PropStream:

1. You've got to pay them for it, whereas the data itself is publicly available!

2. There's always a delay getting the data from the source. Even a 1-week delay could lose you deals in jurisdictions like Georgia where you've only got 4 weeks to make a deal before the house goes to auction.

User Stats

Votes
Jill Patton
  • Investor
  • Wellington, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Wellington, FL
Replied Apr 22 2024, 13:09
Good points.  But, PropStream provides aggregate data that would take time to assemble from multiple free public sources.  I use it to research properties.  The value is in the time saved.

PropStream scrapes the data from the counties daily so if it's updated, ideally it should land in their database within 24 hours.

User Stats

Votes
Ron S.#2 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
Votes |
  • Paradise, CA
Replied Apr 29 2024, 08:27
PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.