How do I break the foreclosure news?

How do I break the foreclosure news?

Wilmington, NC · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes

We are closing on a neighboring foreclosed property tomorrow that's occupied by the (former) owner, and part of our contract with the bank stipulated that we couldn't talk to the current owners about the foreclosure or let them know we were under contract to purchase the property. I know this may end up in court, but we're planning to approach them tomorrow and let them know that we now have the deed to the house and would like to make a cash-for-keys offer if they can agree to be out in 30 days. We don't know these people well, but we've had a few conversations with them since we moved to the neighborhood two years ago and they seem okay, but it really feels like their reaction to the news that the property has officially sold and we want to take possession ASAP could go any way. We thought they had moved out, but another neighbor told us today that they didn't think that was the case. I'm looking for advice on what all I should emphasize/avoid saying. What would be a good cash-for-keys offer to get this conversation started? 

0Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y

Hi Erica,

Knock on the door and ask them what they intend to do about it, and negotiate from there if needed.

Be wary of physically intimidating angry drunks.

Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wilmington, NC · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 3 votes
    4y

    My guess is they probably know this day is coming. I would just see how they take it and reserve the cash for keys, only if necessary.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Hi Erica,

    Knock on the door and ask them what they intend to do about it, and negotiate from there if needed.

    Be wary of physically intimidating angry drunks.

    Good Luck!

  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2010 · 303 posts · 332 votes
    4y

    Since you purchased the house from the bank the foreclosure has already taken place, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise to the former owner that they need to get out. That said, it's difficult to know the whole story.

    About two months ago I purchased a house at a sheriff's sale. The owner was still living there and I made several attempts at a cash-for-keys offer after the auction but no one would answer (or call me back from the note I left on the door). I initiated eviction proceedings and finally last week the sheriff went to the property and told the owners they had to get out. 

    There was a full-scale family feud on the driveway. Apparently the husband told his bedridden wife and adult children he had it all worked out with the bank and the notices they'd been receiving were a mistake. It was awful. The guy's daughters were yelling, screaming, crying and slapping him in the face.

    I suggest you make an attempt to speak to them about cash-for-keys, but also initiate eviction proceedings. That may be the only way to get them out. Good luck Erica! 

  • Council Bluffs, IA · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    @Marty Boardman

    I'm lost here, cash for keys? Just have the sheriff remove them right?

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Eric Fietz:

    @Marty Boardman

    I'm lost here, cash for keys? Just have the sheriff remove them right?


     Well, sometimes C4K works a lot faster than an eviction. Depends on the state and locale and if they try to fight it. I'm not a fan of C4K at all but I also live in a fast eviction state. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Erica Anne Langston:

    We are closing on a neighboring foreclosed property tomorrow that's occupied by the (former) owner, and part of our contract with the bank stipulated that we couldn't talk to the current owners about the foreclosure or let them know we were under contract to purchase the property. I know this may end up in court, but we're planning to approach them tomorrow and let them know that we now have the deed to the house and would like to make a cash-for-keys offer if they can agree to be out in 30 days. We don't know these people well, but we've had a few conversations with them since we moved to the neighborhood two years ago and they seem okay, but it really feels like their reaction to the news that the property has officially sold and we want to take possession ASAP could go any way. We thought they had moved out, but another neighbor told us today that they didn't think that was the case. I'm looking for advice on what all I should emphasize/avoid saying. What would be a good cash-for-keys offer to get this conversation started? 


    Because these are neighbors, it might be wise to have the property owners listed as an LLC or similar and just go through a notification and eviction process so they don't know it's you. These types of things can get nasty.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Wilmington, NC · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Eric Fietz:

    @Marty Boardman

    I'm lost here, cash for keys? Just have the sheriff remove them right?

    We live in Vermont, and it can take a few months and a few thousand dollars to get a final Writ of Possession to get the sherif to come out. If I can work it out with the former owner, I’d rather them have that money. The plan  right now is to offer C4K with a 30 day move out and if they don’t budge then we’ll unfortunately likely end up having to go through the sherif. There are kids living in the house, and this is a pretty small town. We definitely want to strike a balance between pressure to move on and empathy. 
  • Wilmington, NC · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @JD Martin:
    Quote from @Erica Anne Langston:

    We are closing on a neighboring foreclosed property tomorrow that's occupied by the (former) owner, and part of our contract with the bank stipulated that we couldn't talk to the current owners about the foreclosure or let them know we were under contract to purchase the property. I know this may end up in court, but we're planning to approach them tomorrow and let them know that we now have the deed to the house and would like to make a cash-for-keys offer if they can agree to be out in 30 days. We don't know these people well, but we've had a few conversations with them since we moved to the neighborhood two years ago and they seem okay, but it really feels like their reaction to the news that the property has officially sold and we want to take possession ASAP could go any way. We thought they had moved out, but another neighbor told us today that they didn't think that was the case. I'm looking for advice on what all I should emphasize/avoid saying. What would be a good cash-for-keys offer to get this conversation started? 


    Because these are neighbors, it might be wise to have the property owners listed as an LLC or similar and just go through a notification and eviction process so they don't know it's you. These types of things can get nasty.

    Thanks for this, JD. It's in an LLC, and I thought long and hard about staying anonymous during this process, but this is a small town, and the secret will get out the day we get the keys. I also hope (maybe naively) that having them know I'm someone in the community might make them a little less hostile. Like, it's no longer the big bad bank taking advantage of the little guy, which is how I'm sure they've perceived the foreclosure process. I'm just a neighbor who needs a house for their ailing mother and happened to win a cheap foreclosure auction without fully realizing the home was still occupied full time, which is essentially what I ended up saying when I let him know I now hold the title and need him out in 30 days.

  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2010 · 303 posts · 332 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Eric Fietz:

    @Marty Boardman

    I'm lost here, cash for keys? Just have the sheriff remove them right?


     You offer the former homeowner cash to move out (peacefully) in lieu of an eviction. It can work if the former homeowner understands what has happened and isn't in complete denial.

  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2010 · 303 posts · 332 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Erica L.:
    Quote from @JD Martin:
    Quote from @Erica Anne Langston:

    We are closing on a neighboring foreclosed property tomorrow that's occupied by the (former) owner, and part of our contract with the bank stipulated that we couldn't talk to the current owners about the foreclosure or let them know we were under contract to purchase the property. I know this may end up in court, but we're planning to approach them tomorrow and let them know that we now have the deed to the house and would like to make a cash-for-keys offer if they can agree to be out in 30 days. We don't know these people well, but we've had a few conversations with them since we moved to the neighborhood two years ago and they seem okay, but it really feels like their reaction to the news that the property has officially sold and we want to take possession ASAP could go any way. We thought they had moved out, but another neighbor told us today that they didn't think that was the case. I'm looking for advice on what all I should emphasize/avoid saying. What would be a good cash-for-keys offer to get this conversation started? 


    Because these are neighbors, it might be wise to have the property owners listed as an LLC or similar and just go through a notification and eviction process so they don't know it's you. These types of things can get nasty.

    Thanks for this, JD. It's in an LLC, and I thought long and hard about staying anonymous during this process, but this is a small town, and the secret will get out the day we get the keys. I also hope (maybe naively) that having them know I'm someone in the community might make them a little less hostile. Like, it's no longer the big bad bank taking advantage of the little guy, which is how I'm sure they've perceived the foreclosure process. I'm just a neighbor who needs a house for their ailing mother and happened to win a cheap foreclosure auction without fully realizing the home was still occupied full time, which is essentially what I ended up saying when I let him know I now hold the title and need him out in 30 days.


     Erica, how did this turn out for you?

  • Wilmington, NC · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    We’re still in the thick of it. I talked to the former owner, offered them cash and a 30-day move out. They said they don’t think it’s possible for them to be out in 30 but they’ll do their best. Cash leaves the table after 30 days. Housing here is super tight, and they have a ton of stuff on the property. We’ve started the Writ of Possession process in case we end up having to go that route, but I’m still hoping we can work something out. So long as we’re seeing progress (they stay in touch with us and items are leaving the property), we’re willing to be flexible within reason. I’ll definitely post an update when it’s all said and done.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.