Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Trey Schwilling
Pro Member
Votes |
New to real estate investing, contemplating carwash/storage property.

Trey Schwilling
Pro Member
Posted

The property has four self-serve bays and one automatic. There are 51 storage units on the same property. Carwash income in reportedly 11,900 monthly. All storage units are rented and monthly income is 2,225. Seller reports NOI: 108,101, Gross carwash income: 149,546, Cap Rate: 11.5%. I've not invested in real estate before so I don't know what financing would look like for this endeavor. I'm open to any feedback or ideas on this.

• Trey Schwilling
  • User Stats

Votes
    Chris Mason
    Pro Member
    • Lender
    • California
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Lender
    • California
    ModeratorReplied

A cap rate that high sounds good, but is often considered a beige flag. 

I threw @Jameson Sullivan a softball pitch about what to watch out for when the cap rate is that good, and he knocked it out of the park. Thread here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/32/topics/1199673-i-am-...

In this particular case, however, it might NOT be too good to be true, since (it appears that) you will be running that business yourself. So be it, that NOI and cap rate might be real. That $108k is both what you need to pay your own salary with AND the mortgage payment if there is one. Reminder that the mom-n-pop restaurant where the mom and the pop each work 70 hours a week, and at the end of the day the net profit they pay themselves from is $80k in total. That means 70 hours per week to earn $40k. That's less than minimum wage, and that's why THAT business has no value. In this case it's not $40k it's $108k, and in this case you might not need to put 70 hours a week into it. And you get the real estate to boot, so this property+business has some actual & real value that our hypothetical restaurant does not. I might be tempted to walk my butt into the owner's office -- does that LOOK like a place the owner spends 70 hours a week (lots of personal items on the walls? Half-full trash can b/c he's eating lunch at the desk every day?), or does it LOOK like an office that he's only in for 5 hours a week (few personal items, just a place he pops into 1-2 days a week, in this case the keyboard being dusty might be a good thing... empty trash can, no random papers floating around...)? That's an imperfect measure, but we really need to get a sense for what you have to do in order to GET that $108k that it currently brings in.

Not giving you the yes/no on if it's a good deal or not, just giving you some ways to think about it. 

• Chris Mason
  • User Stats

Votes
    Derek Scott
    • Greer, SC
    Votes |
    • Greer, SC
    Replied

@Trey Schwilling are the car wash and self storage numbers reversed?

BiggerPockets logo
    PassivePockets is here!
    |
    BiggerPockets
    Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
    Trey Schwilling
    Pro Member
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    Replied
    Quote from @Derek Scott:

@Trey Schwilling are the car wash and self storage numbers reversed?

No, the storage units are really cheap 
  • Trey Schwilling