Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Anna Washburn
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Anyone have experience in buying a laundry mat?

Anna Washburn
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Oct 5 2022, 09:52

I'm thinking about buying a laundry mat, but have no idea where to start.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  

User Stats

Votes
Devon Edwards
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 21 2022, 22:04

@Kevin C. owns a couple here in Anchorage. Try reaching out to him via DM.

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied Nov 22 2022, 17:19

A.  Unless your mechanically handy your maintenance costs will eat you up.  Make sure that is part of your deal analysis

B.  If managed by the owner currently and you plan to hire people add in a 30% loss of revenue.  This is a cash business.  Move to an electronic card system even for the soap dispensers. 
C.  Take an inventory by age of all of your equipment. Run every machine with a load in it. If old equipmEnt you need to add $xx,xxx capex costs for the next theee years while you clean things up.  

D.  Check your infrastructure.  Roof, plumbing, hvac, water heater, etc

E. This isnt passive or a side hussle. Quit your job and take this on. Can do your REI while doing this.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Gozlan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Plano, TX
Replied Nov 22 2022, 19:37

@Anna Washburn are we talking about buying the building, the business or both?

User Stats

Votes
Jerry V.
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Replied Nov 23 2022, 06:55

As an example of an "upscale" and/or automated Laundry Mat, check out Zoom Express Laundry in Richardson, TX.  I went there to drop off something for a person working there and, stopped in my tracks!  "Modern" laundry mats are NOTHING like I remember from long ago! hahaha

Oh, looks like they've changed names (owners?) to Revolution Laundromat ... hey, it's a cash business (like car washes), this happens! (no, I have no part in their business or affairs!)

https://revolutionlaundromat.c...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 27 2022, 18:03
Quote from @Anna Washburn:

I'm thinking about buying a laundry mat, but have no idea where to start.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  

What in particular are you trying to understand?  In the early 2000's I owned the highest grossing (per square foot) laundromat in Los Angeles county.  I learned a lot.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 1 2024, 20:11

HI Jeff! 

Im researching to possibly start a laundromat. Im considering buying the building instead of leasing and possibly doing a franchise. Do you have any advise around that?
Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 1 2024, 20:14
HI Jeff! Im researching to possibly start a laundromat. Im considering buying the building instead of leasing and possibly doing a franchise. Do you have any advise around that?
Im reading that laundry mats can be very profitable and it sounds like you were successful - what made you get out of that business?

Thank you!

Quote from @Jeff Hassannia:
Quote from @Anna Washburn:

What in particular are you trying to understand?  In the early 2000's I owned the highest grossing (per square foot) laundromat in Los Angeles county.  I learned a lot.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Meyer
  • Contractor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Jul 17 2024, 10:38

can you give me your feedback @Jeff Hassanniaeff @Henry Clark

I'm looking at a small laundry mat 15 dryers/15 washing machines. Mostly all older equipment at least 15 years old. The place is clean not attended. Owner is motivated to sell and says expenses are $2300/month (includes lease rent 1700+600 in electricity/gas water included in rent). Says averages $7000 month income. She says she only cleans it every night and collect change 4 hrs a night. Open 7 days a week 6am-9pm.

All income is from machines only. Wash/dry/fold services could be added and are wanted by customer base. She was $130,000 for the business. This number is a low multiple if she is earning $84k year gross.

I flip homes and my business has slowed and would love to manage it full-time still self-service style but add some wash/fold/dry a few days a week for additional income and update machines and coin to card reader. A lot of things are not used in store. 2 coin machines, 1 is broken and could be replaced by a card reader, large vending machine empty, soap vending machine coins could be converted to card. And manager/wash/dry/fold office not used. Its only 15 units in around a 600sqft store. Bright and clean.

I'm just worried about a lot of maintainence on older machines and whats a good price to be firm on since I could be replacing a lot of machines. Its a nice shopping center in demographics that will continue to use the space.

Is $130k too high or what would you offer with the information provided. I want to keep this mostly self-service within minimal management/part-time employee. I'm not interested in being their 12-15hrs a day (comes out to $10/hr or less possibly) 

thanks!!

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied Jul 17 2024, 19:35

@Paul Meyer  have you answered my notes above?  It could be free and still be a bad deal.  

Make a Due Diligence list.

1.  When does the building lease expire?  What happens if not renewed?

2.  What would be the Electricity/gas/water be if you had to move?

3.  Insurance?

4.  Are you mechanical?  Have you taken an inventory?  Old machines are okay if they were just purchased refurbished 2 years ago.  Or are they that old?

5.  If you don't plan to Scale this to other locations, don't learn a new business.

6.  Most of their money is walking out the door unless they are there 24/7.  If they are there, then their numbers are accurate except for cash on the side.  If you bring in temps, they will take cash off the side, unless you move to card readers for everything and cash controls.

7. Take your Home Flipping due diligence approach and apply it to this model.  But the lease is your key question.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 29 2024, 12:28

Look for podcast called laundromat resource or their youtube videos. Is like bigger pocket but for laundromat. Check out Coin Laundry Association and signed up for their magazine Planet Laundry.