Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matt Concannon
Votes |
Financing for Flex Space Commercial - investors

Matt Concannon
Posted

$2.5M 45,000 sq ft.  25% down.  I am the primary investor.  

Question:

If I take on two investors at 12.5%...can I avoid them having to sign the note and getting vetted?  They are more than qualified, just don't want to go through the vetting process.  

Details:

Financing will be 75% ltv, 5-10 years fixed, 25 year AM.  Not sure of the rate in the current environment.  Negotiations are in final stages of contract edits between the attorneys.  

Open to any useful advice.    

User Stats

Votes
Aurelien Bonin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ontario, Canada
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ontario, Canada
Replied

The limited partners don't usually qualify for the loan, the general partner does.

User Stats

Votes
Brad Hayden
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Broomfield, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Broomfield, CO
Replied

@Matt Concannon

Matt - it depends on several factors.

As Aurelien Bonin mentioned above, if they are limited partners (passive investors) they typically are not included on the loan. However, if they are truly passive investors, are you structuring and documenting this as a syndication?

If they are not passive and are in fact active members of the general partner structure, then each lender will look at their specific criteria such as:

Do you have credit, net worth, and reserves to meet their underwriting criteria?

What is your experience / track record with this type and size of investment? 

Most lenders will require any partner with 20% or greater ownership to be on the loan docs, but I have seen occassions where lenders pushed that requirement down to 15% or even 10%. Depends on the lender and what risk factors they perceive.

You state that financing will be 75% ltv, 5-10 yr fixed, 25 yr am. Do you have a lender commitment for that or is it your target? If you don't have a firm commitment, how will you handle a less desirable loan? What will it do to your investment plan?

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions and I will send a DM with my contact info.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Concannon
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Brad Hayden:

@Matt Concannon

Matt - it depends on several factors.

As Aurelien Bonin mentioned above, if they are limited partners (passive investors) they typically are not included on the loan. However, if they are truly passive investors, are you structuring and documenting this as a syndication?

If they are not passive and are in fact active members of the general partner structure, then each lender will look at their specific criteria such as:

Do you have credit, net worth, and reserves to meet their underwriting criteria?

What is your experience / track record with this type and size of investment? 

Most lenders will require any partner with 20% or greater ownership to be on the loan docs, but I have seen occassions where lenders pushed that requirement down to 15% or even 10%. Depends on the lender and what risk factors they perceive.

You state that financing will be 75% ltv, 5-10 yr fixed, 25 yr am. Do you have a lender commitment for that or is it your target? If you don't have a firm commitment, how will you handle a less desirable loan? What will it do to your investment plan?

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions and I will send a DM with my contact info.

Thanks for the thoughtful response Brad.  The bank indicated that I can do the loan on my own (net worth, experience, ext.).  It will just be easier on the cash out of pocket to bring on a few investors.  And they bring a lot of business experience that I would value, as there is an active component to the property that will need to be managed.   The investors are older and don't want to go through the vetting process if possible.  Not a syndication, but I am telling the bank that the investors will not be actively involved with decisions.  

User Stats

Votes
Brad Hayden
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Broomfield, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Broomfield, CO
Replied

Hey @Matt Concannon, checking to see if you were able to put this together? Would be interested in hearing an update.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Concannon
Votes |
Replied

Brad....lol...only 12 months later.  Yes...bought the building.  Actually been so busy running the building, that I have not been on.  To the original questions.  I had two investors at 12.5% each (a husband and wife) who did not need sign the note.   Another investor at 25%...did sign the note.  I own 50% with my wife.  Project is going well....projecting almost 10% cash on cash return for first 12 months.  That should skyrocket to 30% cash on cash return for year 2.  With potential for more.  

User Stats

Votes
Derek Smith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied
Quote from @Matt Concannon:

$2.5M 45,000 sq ft.  25% down.  I am the primary investor.  

Question:

If I take on two investors at 12.5%...can I avoid them having to sign the note and getting vetted?  They are more than qualified, just don't want to go through the vetting process.  

Details:

Financing will be 75% ltv, 5-10 years fixed, 25 year AM.  Not sure of the rate in the current environment.  Negotiations are in final stages of contract edits between the attorneys.  

Open to any useful advice.    

Hey Matt, well done sir. Would you be willing to share the lenders info with me? Looking at a similar deal now.