CARES ACT-Using 457b to Purchase a Primary Residence

CARES ACT-Using 457b to Purchase a Primary Residence

Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hello, everyone!

I am a teacher about 11 years away from early retirement. I am considering taking $50k out of my 457b plan to help me put a very large down payment (including equity from a home sold last year) on a primary residence. I’d like to purchase in a few months but it could be longer. They money would stay in a high interest savings account until the home purchase.  Is there another option?

In the short term, I want to be able to afford my bills. Having a very low mortgage and a roommate would make it possible to stay in my home and take a lower paying job if I had to.

In the long term, I may stay in the home or I may rent it out and move into a condo or townhome. I live in Fort Collins, Colorado where the rental market is good (I've heard). I would most likely have the home paid off in 5 to 10 years. In addition to the 457b, I have a pension and a Roth IRA and feel I'll be okay in retirement.

I don’t know if this is the smartest move but I want to feel secure in the short term as well as the long term. Any advice you could give me would be so appreciated.

Thank you!

1Reply
11 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ian I LeinwandPro Member
    Property Manager · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2018 · 89 posts · 42 votes
    6y

    I'm also thinking about pulling money from my retirement account and purchasing another rental property. I do not see much downside especially if your investing in a primary that you will have a roommate. 

    What house price range are you looking at buying in FC. I'm also a professional rental property manager and can help give you an idea of what home would rent for. In FC average is 500 to 800 a bedroom depending on what utilities and how much space you allow your roommate. Possibly higher if you find something that allows for 2 separate living spaces. 

    You can always access the equity in your home using a home equity line of credit. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.