Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Jim Cummings
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Trend or Perturbation

Jim Cummings
  • College Station, TX
Posted Oct 17 2019, 08:18

Foreclosure Postings are up in a number of counties monitored by Roddy real Estate Services of Addison, TX.

Here is a quick breakdown of our posting volume change for several major counties:

Dallas County: Down 2%

Williamson County: Up 6% (Round Rock / Georgetown, TX)

Bell County: Up 16% (Temple / Killeen)

Bexar County up 16% (San Antonio)

Tarrant County: Up 22% (Fort Worth)

Travis County: Up 28% (Austin)

Denton County: Up 30%  (Denton, TX - North Of DFW)

Collin County : Up 31%  (McKinney, TX - East Of DFW)

User Stats

Votes
David Ivy
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 17 2019, 09:09

@Jim Cummings

Thank you for sharing. It's difficult to draw useful conclusions from percentages alone. For example, if there were 120 foreclosures last month in Travis County, a 28% increase the next month would be around 153 foreclosures. That doesn't seem like anything noteworthy. The 28% increase can look like big jump, but we'd need to know more. Is the percentage change year over year, from one month to the next, or something else? Does the report have the actual monthly foreclosure numbers for Travis County? How do the current foreclosure numbers in Travis County compare to historical highs and lows?

Realty Austin Compass Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey A. Rose
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cranfills Gap, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cranfills Gap, TX
Replied Oct 17 2019, 09:13

Interesting data, thanks @Jim Cummings.  I guess you need to correlate with some local economic data to determine if there is a “why”.  Also it would be interesting to look at the long historical data to understand if it’s a trend or not.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Pete Harper
  • Streetman, TX
Votes |
  • Streetman, TX
Replied Oct 17 2019, 09:54

Jim, interesting data.  Can you please post more details. Like David says it would be great to see the underlying data. For example Travis county might have had three foreclosures last month and four this month. That would be a 33% increase. 
Do you have the numbers for Brazos County. I’d be interested to see how BCS is doing. 

User Stats

Votes
Jim Cummings
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
  • College Station, TX
Replied Oct 17 2019, 10:30

To: All

Apologies - I don't have more data. Used to be a Roddy Subscriber when I lived in Austin. And, I still get an occasional email from them. I thought the topic might get some interest, but sorry that was all the data in the email. 

Not doing a Promo for Roddy's Real Estate Reports - but if you have interest in foreclosures in one of the major Texas Metros (DFW, Austin, San Antonio) and they just expanded to El Paso, it might be worth investing in his subscription service. As I recall the Austin updates had options for Travis, Williamson & Hays Counties.  

User Stats

Votes
Rick Pozos
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Oct 18 2019, 08:30

Property taxes are a big part in Texas Mortgage payments. When property values rise 50% over the last few years, so do property taxes. Properties are appraised every year and will move up in value every year in good times(10% cap per year on homestead, no cap on investment properties). 10% rise in your taxes can be substantial. Most people are JUST qualifying for their homes when buying. THEN your payment goes up every year!!!

There is nothing surprising that mortgage foreclosures are going up. They had been at historical lows, but not anymore. About 300 per month was the low. We are now at about 400+ per month in Bexar county. In 2008 there were months with 1200+ per month!! I dont think we are going back to 1200, but 600 to 700 will be the norm in the near future here in Bexar County which San Antonio takes up most of.