Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eric Drum
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Richmond VA
Votes |
Help! I'm getting stuck and looking for advice.

Eric Drum
Pro Member
  • Richmond VA
Posted

I'm working with a seller who is in his mid 70's and is on the fence on selling due to taxes. He purchased the property about 15 years ago and has been using it as a rental (At this point I'm not sure exactly how much he has been depreciating each year). He currently owes $52,000 more on the mortgage. The ARV on the home is $215,000 and needs about $25,000 in work. He doesn't want to do a 1031 exchange since he isn't very motivated to invest his money into another long term play. He would like to "cash out" but doesn't want to get hit on the high amount of taxes on the proceeds. How could I position this to be a potential win/win?

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Professional Services
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied

@Eric Drum, I wish I had a nickel for every one of these that's crossing my desk lately.  Its very common and a cautionary tale to us as we all grow older.  If you want to get out intact and mentally healthy you've got to plan with the exit in mind.  Whether you're a 1031 investor who chants in the mirror every day "defer defer defer die".  Or whether you just love to buy and hold properties.  You have to plan for the time when it's time to let go.   I think our natural inclination to get more cautious as we age coupled with the perception that the real estate we can touch is somehow more secure.  And it may be but it's never going to be passive.  And it's never going to generate good quality returns as long as it's an appreciated asset with no debt (which unfortunately is also the most secure asset).

So understand his aging angst.  Promise yourself you'll think differently when it's your time :)  And find a way to ease him over that bridge.

One suggestion would be an owner carry note or an installment sale. He'll pay the tax but it will be spread out. Another might be a management agreement where you lease the property with an option to buy in a certain amount of time. Of course the most common answer is to 1031 into a passive TIC or DST at that price point. The work load is lighter and the cash flow usually higher than managing the long term buy and hold. But it's an emotional barrier for sure.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Drum
Pro Member
  • Richmond VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Richmond VA
Replied

@Dave Foster Thank you Dave for taking the time to respond to my post. This information is certainly very helpful! However I'm not sure I know what a TIC or DST is? Thanks again for your help!

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied

@Eric Drum, TICs (Tenants in Common) and DSTs (Delaware Statutory Trusts) refer to fractional ownership of larger investment properties managed by a sponsor.  The two keys to them are that they are totally passive and 1031 compliant.  They're really an excellent choice for the aging investor.  The problem for the investor usually lies in giving up control.  

I honestly don't know what the big deal is.  I've been out of control all my life.  No need to start now :)