Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Doug Kim
  • Investor
  • madison, al
Votes |
Swapping houses with mortgages

Doug Kim
  • Investor
  • madison, al
Posted

I did a search on BP and found a few posts but there wasn't alot of information about what i'm trying to do. My sister and I are in a situation where we may want to swap houses. We both have mortgages on our respective houses. It's about the same amount, around 120K on each house. We both live in the same city. What's the best way to officially swap homes/mortgages without going through the traditional buy/sell process? Any assistance is much appreciated! 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Investor Mindset Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Investor Mindset Contributor
Replied

Talk to an attorney.  If you owned them outright, you could just transfer the titles, but with the mortgages, it may not be that simple.

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied

You can’t “swap” mortgages....unless in the very rare situation where you both have assumable mtgs, fha or va, then you could each do a “true” assumption, but even this would involve two actual sales.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.