Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eric C.
  • Investor
  • Grand Junction, CO
Votes |
Selling half a house to a significant other

Eric C.
  • Investor
  • Grand Junction, CO
Posted Apr 14 2018, 04:04

Here is the situation.  My 4 yr girlfriend and I are moving back to an area where I own a house outright.  It is currently rented, and my intent if I kept it as a rental was to cash out the equity as it is worth about 150k.  We used to live there together several years ago.  She wants us to either buy a place together, or let her buy half the rental house and we live in it.  I thought about the idea of quit claiming her on deed and then letting her get a cash out refi as an owner occupant for her half which she would just give me.  Is that a feasible way to do the transaction?

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Apr 15 2018, 13:00

@Eric C.  what was the name of that rock climber who free climbed El Capitan ??

I think they showed it on 60 minutes and I think he did it without any ropes.. is that right

if so it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen !!!

sorry to change subjects but based on your Avitar thought you might recall that..

User Stats

Votes
Eric C.
  • Investor
  • Grand Junction, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Grand Junction, CO
Replied Apr 15 2018, 13:05
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

I think they showed it on 60 minutes and I think he did it without any ropes.. is that right

sorry to change subjects but based on your Avitar thought you might recall that..

Alex Honnold - is the famous free soloist who does a ton of stuff in Yosemite, but Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgenson were the two climbers to first "Free" the Dawn Wall on El Cap.  To Free Solo is to climb without rope protection, and to free climb is to climb without weighting a rope and to not use gear for progress, but you can have it there just in case.  

Climbing is my passion, not real estate.  I climb outside about 100 days per year.  

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Apr 15 2018, 13:12
Originally posted by @Eric C.:

Alex Honnold - is the famous free soloist who does a ton of stuff in Yosemite, but Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgenson were the two climbers to first "Free" the Dawn Wall on El Cap.  To Free Solo is to climb without rope protection, and to free climb is to climb without weighting a rope and to not use gear for progress, but you can have it there just in case.  

Climbing is my passion, not real estate.  I climb outside about 100 days per year.  

Being a SF Bay Area kid I have been in Yosemite valley many times.. when I saw that guy climb up El Cap it was the most awesome thing I think I have ever seen..

Real estate has been good to me all these years but yes there is much more to life than worrying about cash flow and rentals tenants and stuff.. keep your perspective.

We live in the Jet age for 750 bucks you can be around the world in 15 to 16 hours.. all these people that get so focused on being retired or living on their rentals AS soon as they can to me they miss many of the pleasures of a rounded life.. hopefully if they do achieve their dreams they will stop and smell the roses.

I had one guy on BP write me a private message one time and said I post to much and I just not have a life.

my reply well maybe so from his perspective but in the last year I have been to  Isreal  Thailand Hawaii 2 times London  British Columbia to fly fish and about 12 other locations in the US ( those are primarily business) so don't let the peanut Gallery here on BP bug you !!! 

User Stats

Votes
Eric C.
  • Investor
  • Grand Junction, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Grand Junction, CO
Replied Apr 15 2018, 13:18

Being a SF Bay Area kid I have been in Yosemite valley many times.. when I saw that guy climb up El Cap it was the most awesome thing I think I have ever seen..

Real estate has been good to me all these years but yes there is much more to life than worrying about cash flow and rentals tenants and stuff.. keep your perspective.

We live in the Jet age for 750 bucks you can be around the world in 15 to 16 hours.. all these people that get so focused on being retired or living on their rentals AS soon as they can to me they miss many of the pleasures of a rounded life.. hopefully if they do achieve their dreams they will stop and smell the roses.

I had one guy on BP write me a private message one time and said I post to much and I just not have a life.

my reply well maybe so from his perspective but in the last year I have been to  Isreal  Thailand Hawaii 2 times London  British Columbia to fly fish and about 12 other locations in the US ( those are primarily business) so don't let the peanut Gallery here on BP bug you !!! 

Well Said!!!  In my death bed, I will not say "I wish I would have traveled less".   Always wanted to fly fish, but haven't tried it yet.  There is great climbing up your direction at Smith Rocks outside of Bend, I have been there many times.    

User Stats

Votes
Tanya F.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Madison, WI
Votes |
  • Madison, WI
Replied Apr 15 2018, 13:37
Originally posted by @Charlie MacPherson:

@Eric C. I suppose you could reach a contractual deal where you're both on the deed, but why would you do that if you're not married to her?

If for whatever reason your relationship sours, you could have a nightmare on your hands.

A marriage is certainly no way to guarantee that a relationship won't sour.  She doesn't want to pay rent, and I don't blame her there.  Our options are we buy a different place together, or I can sell her half of my current place.  I would then reinvest the proceeds to get a different rental property.

My partner and I own four houses together. We've been together 20 years. Not married. 

TIC

User Stats

Votes
Gary Barella
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • East Brunswick, NJ
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • East Brunswick, NJ
Replied Apr 15 2018, 14:28

Is your girlfriend a mobster? In Jersey, the only time we see nonsense like that is when someone’s getting squeezed.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew M.
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Apr 15 2018, 15:10

Wait until you are married. Much less risk and much easier process.

User Stats

Votes
Tanya F.
  • Madison, WI
Votes |
  • Madison, WI
Replied Apr 15 2018, 20:28

@Eric C. it wouldn't let me mention you in the updates I just added above- so reposting:

We bought our first property together when we'd been together for 3 years, and at that point we'd only been living together for one year.

AND both of our names are on all the mortgage loans, and three out of the four titles. The house where we both live together has just me on the title deed but both of us on the loan and the HELOC. No additional paperwork. We have much of our finances intertwined. We have our separate accounts, too. Sounds like you guys are like us.

User Stats

Votes
Marian Smith
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Williamson County, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Williamson County, TX
Replied Apr 16 2018, 02:21

I think you got a lot of “personal” type responses because you included person information. And your question has a simple answer, provided by Jay but easily googled, so it was assumed you were not part of a power team with re assets, cash and a stated investment philosophy. Do whatever you want. Why even ask for help?

User Stats

Votes
Ola Dantis
  • Multifamily Syndicator
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Multifamily Syndicator
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 16 2018, 05:59

I can't stop laughing so hard when I read this stuff. I mean I am dying here! 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

User Stats

Votes
Charlie MacPherson
  • China, ME
Votes |
  • China, ME
Replied Apr 16 2018, 11:18

@Eric C.  Sorry - I didn't intend to start a firestorm.  

I just wanted to point out that there are significant risks to the idea that you proposed.  If you understand the risks and are willing to accept them, good on ya.

User Stats

Votes
Alison Horton
  • Investor
  • Berkeley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Berkeley, CA
Replied Apr 16 2018, 12:45

Wow, what a crazy thread. Sounds like a straight up TIC to me (get the language straightened out with a lawyer so you know exactly what the risks are and think hard about how you can minimize them, housemate to cover if she bails and you need the income, whatever). We do them all the time around here, married or not. Everyone was so quick to judge you based on the entirely irrelevant marriage issue I don't know if I want to ask my question. I'm looking for someone to become an equity partner buying a share in my house. I have a beautiful 1 bedroom apt ADU in the basement in a great location but I don't know if I'm just going to get dumped on.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Apr 16 2018, 18:06

@Alison Horton, SSSSSShhh!!! The animals were almost asleep!  

By the way, your idea is intriguing.  I've seen contemplation of this kind of "ticing out" a SF residence a couple of times in the last few weeks.  It's hard to believe that prices in the Bay have risen to that point.  But they have.  And it does make ever so much sense to buy a % interest in a house than to rent if that's your druthers.  The devil's going to be in the structure of the deal of course.

User Stats

Votes
Alison Horton
  • Investor
  • Berkeley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Berkeley, CA
Replied Apr 16 2018, 21:11

Still have their contact info?

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Singapore
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Singapore
Replied Apr 16 2018, 22:53

@Eric C.   geez I answered this question .... what I laid out is absolutely the ONLY route to legally do this.. next question.. ???

Yes but the marriage discussion is so much more fun to read!