Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sergio Avina
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Whittier, CA
Votes |
Should I Turn SFR into Duplex or Buy MFR in overpriced market?

Sergio Avina
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Whittier, CA
Posted Mar 7 2017, 21:49

Looking to purchase my first MFR, but can't decide whether to turn what seems like a good deal (SFR) into a duplex by building a new house in the back or purchase a MFR, in Los Angeles. What do you think ?

Here's the scoop. I've made offers on two different properties... two examples below. I'd need to live in one of the homes and rent the other/s.  What's the best method of comparing the two examples?

SFR-

Price: $500k. 4 bed, 3 bath (2k sq ft). Could use a little TLC, which will cost about $25k.

Lot size is nearly 15k sq ft. Zoning will only allow the build of one house in the back yard.  

Location: middle income neighborhood with rentals in high demand & a university 3 miles away. East of Downtown LA, near Orange County.

My plan is to purchase at 3.5% down (FHA) & within 2-4 months, take out a second, as well as use some private lender money to build. I don't know the average cost (per sq ft) for a new build in the area -- looking into this now. My realtor estimated $145k for a house with about 1,600 sq ft and a two car garage.

MFR-

Price: $675k.  2 separate buildings, one with 3+2, a second with 2+1, and a third studio. All in nearly move-in ready condition. They may need about $10k in minor upgrades. 

Location: middle income neighborhood near a university, 12 minutes to Downtown LA. 

As an inexperienced buyer/investor I don't know how to best compare/analyze the deals against each other. I've listened to about one third of the BP podcasts, which have been very helpful, but still don't know the way to go. What advise can you offer? Any advise is much appreciated. 

BP follower...

Thanks!

Loading replies...