Nashville REIN meeting

Nashville REIN meeting

Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Hello fellow Nashville investors!

If you were at last nights REIN meeting-good for you! It was the best main meeting I have attended. I took a bunch of notes and wanted to share with everyone that couldn't attend.

If you were there last night, please chip in and correct me if I am wrong on any of the below points....

Guest speakers were Melinda Bailey from Franklin Synergy and Yogi Dougher (We all know Yogi)

A couple of things from the lending standpoint:

Melinda mentioned that the number one thing they are looking to lend on right now is warehouses because the demand is so high at the moment. That just means that is their most sought after lending if you will, but she did say they will lend "all day long" on rentals and urban infill development. What I thought was interesting on infill development that Melinda mentioned was that your purchase price is the value of the property. Meaning there is no appraisal/valuation the bank will put on it because they don't want to allow you to pull out ridiculous amounts of money from a vacant lot. If you bought a lot on 2nd Ave for $5k in 1980 the value of the lot (to the bank) is $5k. I believe this is due in part to Dodd-Frank. 

The amount of supply on apartment complexes has started to exceed demand, especially luxury apts. Banks have started to reduce lending on construction of apt complexes as a result and they have exceeded their lending capabilities per capital requirements. Melinda did say you can still get loans for these but they are not as "easy" as they were before. 

Your community banks actually, genuinely look into the deals you send them. They will do their research on area, zip code, development in that area, etc. The better you can present the deal to them, the better your chances are of getting a loan. They shouldn't have to ask you for anything, you should send all required info before they even ask. Yogi said that he would not lend to someone that doesn't have all of their proverbial ducks in a row! He even mentioned that sending in a power-point presentation of your project sure does help! 

With all of the new development going on in the Nashville area, something to think about that I haven't heard of until last night is a construction to perm loan. This is where you keep the property after construction without having to refi to a conventional loan. It might only be available if you intend to owner occupy. If you're sitting on a lot at the moment and want to live in that area-this is something you will definitely want to look into!

A couple of things on the Nashville market:

The main point I took home was the issue of affordability in the Nashville market and I really started paying attention to what Yogi had to say once he started talking about the future of the local market. He said this is just his opinion "sitting in the cheap seats" (Yogi being humble). In terms of the current trends he thinks Nashville has a "long long" way to go. We will see bumps in the road along the way but over the next 20 years the city will continue to grow. All of the folks losing jobs in the northern cities are moving down the southern corridor as he called it. He mentioned a study done by Vanderbilt saying that the actual number of people moving to Middle TN is probably closer to 101 (net), vs a previous estimate by a business journal that had the number around 85. Keep in mind that not everyone moving here can afford the 400k+ homes that are being built which goes back to the main concern about affordability. 

These are all the notes I took last night. I'm sure I left off some important points and probably didn't report everything exactly as it was said so PLEASE feel free to chip in.

13Reply
49 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 73 votes
    9y

    @Luka Milicevic This is great stuff, Luka. Thanks so much for sharing. I would have to agree on all parts. Who knows if all of these gigantic mixed use projects downtown are actually going to happen, but if they do, Nashville will be a very different city in a few years. That being said, there are more 1900 dollar two bedroom apartments available right now than you could have imagined a few years ago, and the sub-250k housing stock that used to be abundant is pretty much ancient history. Something to think about moving forward if you somehow have a magical way to build decent quality for 60 bucks a foot...

  • Investor · Nashville & Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2015 · 182 posts · 138 votes
    9y

    Excellent summary, @Luka Milicevic! 

  • Professional · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 25 votes
    9y
    Great recap Luka Milicevic! Although I wasn't there I can agree. Working on the lending side of commercial real estate, the multifamily product type has banks on pause around town due mostly to the high rents and oversupply. Germantown alone for example had roughly 3500 units either under construction or being delivered last month. I know my group has stopped lending multifamily in Nashville altogether but nobody knows how to solve the affordability issue. It was be interesting but a city with very little sub-$300k housing is not a sustainable one in my opinion.
  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Jarrett King It's our job as investors to figure out how we are going to make housing affordable. At the end of the day the market decides what the rents and sales prices are. 

    What I see happening in the future is a squeeze on new development profits and smaller townhomes being built. 

    I see folks all the time complaining about the affordability (or lack there of) on all of Nashville's facebook pages. A lot of them are asking for the govt to implement some sort of rent control or other measure to influence housing prices. We all know if that happens it will hurt both sides of the coin-consumers and producers. We need to come up with a solution before that happens!

  • Specialist · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Thank you very much @Luka Milcevic. I tried to attend but couldn't make it, so I really appreciate the summary. Very thoughtful!

  • Rental Property Investor · Nashville/Chattanooga · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    I wasn't able to make it due to a work commitment, and this is great information.  Thanks @Luka Milicevic!  What did you think of the new venue?

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Sean Wilson loved the new venue!!

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Luka Milicevic  Thanks for sharing this! I was unable to attend due to a delayed flight back to Nashville, and this was a meeting I really wanted to attend. 

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 88 posts · 66 votes
    9y

    Thanks for sharing with the community! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.