Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Title Insurance On New Construction

Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorPosted Jan 1 2017, 15:21

Im curious as to other's thoughts on whether I should purchase title insurance on a new construction property. @Rich Baer what do you think?  

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sofia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jan 2 2017, 05:11

Absolutely

User Stats

Votes
Rich Baer
  • Real Estate Investment Attorney
  • Kingsville, MD
Votes |
  • Kingsville, MD
Replied Jan 2 2017, 10:22

@Russell Brazil

Russell, happy New Year to you. If you are really seeking to shave a few dollars off of your settlement costs by avoiding the purchase of title insurance, I would consider its location. If it is in a well established subdivision and you are buying from a seller/builder who has sold many lots from it you should be OK. If this is something other than that situation I would buy it. I am assuming you will be living there. If you are not living there I would buy it as there could be an unreleased Builder mortgage that could hold up your resale.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied Jan 2 2017, 10:31

New construction carries many of the same risks as older construction.

Who is to say that the former landowner didn't have a signed and notarized agreement with Billy Bob's grandpa saying that Billy Bob and all of his descendants have permanent irrevocable cow grazing rights over the land that all these houses are now on? Maybe this deed restriction was overlooked because it was never recorded at the county, but that agreement was 100% real, notarized, there is zero doubt as to its authenticity, etc.

Are Billy Bob and the herd of cows he shows up to your front yard with, while waving a piece of paper, clearly legal trolls? Yup, I think so.

Would the homeowner(s) and developer win in court after a bunch of legal fees? Yup, perhaps they would.

Would it be easier to simply have title insured so you can file it away in the "not my problem" basket? I'd say so.

(Yes, I picked a funny example. A less funny one might be mineral rights. Or a long-forgotten easement from the 19th century when the West was being settled that 1 out of 48 plots of land must be reserved for public schools.)

CommLoan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jan 2 2017, 10:33
Originally posted by @Rich Baer:

@Russell Brazil

Russell, happy New Year to you. If you are really seeking to shave a few dollars off of your settlement costs by avoiding the purchase of title insurance, I would consider its location. If it is in a well established subdivision and you are buying from a seller/builder who has sold many lots from it you should be OK. If this is something other than that situation I would buy it. I am assuming you will be living there. If you are not living there I would buy it as there could be an unreleased Builder mortgage that could hold up your resale.

Yes owner occupant. Builder Calatlantic/Ryland at Downtown Crown. Hard to see any title issues coming up. As someone who generally recommends title insurance it feels unnatural not to get it, but then I'm thinking a title problem is so unlikely in this instance, at least to the extent that it would take an attorney more than 4 billable hours to fix. 

User Stats

Votes
Rich Baer
  • Kingsville, MD
Votes |
  • Kingsville, MD
Replied Jan 2 2017, 10:45

@Russell Brazil

Under the circumstances you present, I would have the same thoughts about not paying for it. If many units have already been sold odds are strongly in your favor as you know.

User Stats

Votes
Jessica Zolotorofe
  • Attorney
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • New Jersey
Replied Jan 2 2017, 12:51

I second the ABSOLUTELY!