Sewer Televising

Sewer Televising

Investor · Waconia, MN · Member since 2014 · 238 posts · 104 votes

Just curious on how many of you do sewer line televising while in your 10 day inspection period when buying a new property? If you do not I just wanted to share my experience with you to encourage you to do so. 

To start, right out of college I actually worked two years for a municipality and did some sewer televising myself. Doing this taught me about all different types of pipe, ages, ways of failure, etc. Being from the midwest, with water and sewer laying below the frost line, sometimes 6-12 feet deep it can get very costly to replace by excavation. Another option is pipe lining, which doesn't involve excavation, and can be quite a bit cheaper but some municipalities do not allow it. 

Because of my past learning about televising I pay a sewer company to come televise all of my potential purchases. Cost is around $200 to have done but it is well worth it. How has it been well worth it? Well, my last two purchases it has saved me roughly $20k+! The first one we found it had collapsing Orangeburg pipe. I backed away from my offer and the seller came back and ended up replacing the sewer for me before closing as long as we stayed at the original sale price. In the end, I got a great cash flowing duplex with a brand new sewer at no extra cost to me (minus the $200 I spent to get it televised).

Second and latest story that is happening now! I am in contract on a SFH right now and got the sewer televised ($210), it is an old house with clay tile sewer pipe which generally has a lot of root issues (very common) but not a deal breaker to me. Well the camera couldn't get through all of the roots. Since the seller wouldn't budge on getting the roots removed for me, I payed up on my own to have the sewer line jetted to get rid of the roots ($425) and then have them re-camera (I had to know the condition of the pipe before moving forward). I Didn't want to spend this money on a house I didn't own, especially if I didn't buy because now I just cleaned the sewer for someone else! Glad I did, because the sewer has a large hole in it, right under the biggest tree on the property. It also has an illegal storm water downspout connection which will be required to get fixed. I am in negotiation now with that seller and may walk away from the deal losing my $635 I spent on sewer cleaning and televising but saving me $10k of replacing a sewer as a surprise. But they are considering fixing it themselves or even dropping the sale price to me by $15k. All a win for me and money well spent.

The reason these findings are significant is now if I walk away the seller now has to provide this information as known on the seller disclosure. Everyone after me will now be aware the sewer is bad and obviously demand a different sale price.

3Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Canyon Lake, TX · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 8 votes
9y

@Dustin N. It most definitely is applicable in Texas and most other states. Some trees have a much deeper reach on their root system, while others are pretty shallow, but spread out laterally. In your much older homes (1960s and before), the problems stem from age and outdated plumbing materials such as galvanized steel water supply lines, cast-iron drain pipes and clay sewer lines. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Waconia, MN · Member since 2014 · 238 posts · 104 votes
    10y

    Just adding keywords as many of my Des Moines, Iowa (IA) and Minnesota (MN) friends may appreciate hearing all of this!

  • HVAC Tech · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 223 votes
    10y

    Thanks for sharing this great info. I did consider renting a camera for a duplex I was looking at. I didn't end up buying it though. How far in can they go with the camera? Do most bigger plumbing outfits offer this service? 

  • Investor · Waconia, MN · Member since 2014 · 238 posts · 104 votes
    10y

    @Kevin Manz yes most plumbing companies can do the camera work. Just call and ask.

    Most camera reels have anywhere from 100 to 200 feet on the reel so there shouldn't be many sewers that are longer than that. Mine yesterday, length to the city main, was 65 feet.

  • Iowa , IA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    I just had this done today on an investment property. The septic/sewer guy said the drought from a few years forced trees to send their roots in search of water and that he thinks that has had a big effect on A LOT of properties. Coupled with the extended depth of frost a few years ago, which caused the Orangeburg to expand and contract creating weak spots throughout many lines. He showed me the live camera while he was doing it. Really interesting. I could see the actual tree roots and places where the Orangeburg was now an oval instead of nice round pipe. $150 to know about $10,000 (or more) in "hidden" costs was absolutely worth it. It was dishearting and now Not sure what's going to happen. This might be a deal breaker if the seller isn't willing to renegotiate but at least now I know. 

  • Iowa , IA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    North of Des Moines about an hour here. This Northern Iowa climate is brutal on everything. So extreme from season to season. 

  • Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    Great advice!  I do it on every property because my first house had issues with Orangeburg, and cost me a small fortune to dig up and replace.  Since then I've purchased two homes with no issue, and then one with Orangeburg that was in really good condition, but I used that as a negotiation chip, and got a better deal on the house.

    Really tough to overstate how wise that $200 investment is. 

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    does this apply only to iowa or is it applicable to other states, say... texas?

  • Canyon Lake, TX · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Dustin N. It most definitely is applicable in Texas and most other states. Some trees have a much deeper reach on their root system, while others are pretty shallow, but spread out laterally. In your much older homes (1960s and before), the problems stem from age and outdated plumbing materials such as galvanized steel water supply lines, cast-iron drain pipes and clay sewer lines. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.