Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Richard Bradshaw
  • Investor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Buying off market REO

Richard Bradshaw
  • Investor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Posted Feb 26 2016, 04:41
I was driving and saw a vacant property, after some research I found out who the owners were. While searching for their contact information, I realized they were in the middle of going bankrupt. That Monday the property owner was listed as Bank of America asset division (or something of the sort). I have the number for the Bank of America office. If I contact them, can I negotiate a purchase before the house goes on the market?

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied Feb 26 2016, 05:23

@Richard Bradshawfrom what I gather on my research and reading BP posts, this is not something they will do with an individual. REOs, correct me if I'm wrong @Wayne Brooks, are given to the listing agent of choice for the lending institution. When you say bankrupt I assume you mean the owners of the property and that BOA was the lender that re-secured or purchased the property after the foreclosure was completed.

User Stats

Votes
Richard Bradshaw
  • Investor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Replied Feb 26 2016, 06:26

@Daria B.No they literally went bankrupt and I'm guessing the property was taken over in he bankruptcy proceedings. Their name was listed in their local paper or something as being granted  the bankruptcy. I saw that on a Friday and on Monday the house belonged to the bank. 

But thank you, I will wait for the property to come up on the MLS.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Feb 26 2016, 07:07

Yep, waste of time trying to talk to the bank.  Odd that the bank actually got title during the BK.  I have one now, owners did BK 2008, house still in their name.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Copeland
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Feb 26 2016, 07:22

As stated above, you probably can't do anything until it hits the MLS. And bankruptcy cases take even longer than typical short sales and REOs - it essentially becomes a foreclosure/short sale wrapped up inside the bankruptcy court proceedings, so it's like a perfect storm of potential delays.

Eve after it hits the MLS and goes under contract, it can still take forever. I have one under contract from the MLS that I've had under contract since August 2015. It still hasn't closed after six months and counting (was supposed to close yesterday, but delayed yet again)!

So, at best, bankruptcy foreclosure properties are a potential long-term strategy, if you can afford to tie up your earnest money for several months and deal with the seemingly endless delays. Luckily, the market is red hot here right now, so this particular property is appreciating while I wait! But that will not always be the case.

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied Feb 26 2016, 07:48

@Jeff Copelandis that property you have under contract occupied? Just wondered since it's tied up in BK whose taking care of it if it's not occupied.

@Richard Bradshawgood luck with your searching. There are a lot of foreclosures going on in my area, just found another last night that actually went to auction and it was interesting to see the court docket papers that had the bidders. It went to the US TRUST bank of course so I think now their next step is to put it in the MLS and let people fight over it. The other bidders on the auction document that I found started at $100 and the highest next to the bank was an individual that bid $88k. The bank won at $96k.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Copeland
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Feb 26 2016, 07:57

@Daria B. - No, it's vacant. Not really a concern for me, most REOs sit vacant for several months (often much longer). I stop by and check on it occasionally, but it's not going anywhere. 

The bank/trustee normally has a field services company who secures the property, cuts the grass, etc. 

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied Feb 26 2016, 08:02

@Jeff CopelandI see. You are just waiting to get it secured then after they figure this out. That is a long time but at least you have the property, so to speak.

User Stats

Votes
Richard Bradshaw
  • Investor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Replied Feb 29 2016, 07:39

@Jeff Copeland Thanks for that information. I wasn't too sure how the bankruptcy foreclosures went. I have dealt with regular REO thought.

@Daria B.Thank you, I just closed on a property that was REO, I am curious but about auction properties but worry about not walking the property before hand.

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied Feb 29 2016, 08:07

@Richard Bradshawcongrats on your closing!

How did you handle the REO, I've yet to get past the offer on one. Was there a lot of back and forth? Did you use an agent?

User Stats

Votes
Richard Bradshaw
  • Investor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Replied Feb 29 2016, 08:29

@Daria B.Thank you, 

Yes, you will need an agent. We did negotiate back and forth a couple times. They are a little more difficult to deal with than a with a regular seller, but those are the hoops you'll have to jump through for the discounted price 

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied Feb 29 2016, 08:37

@Richard Bradshawwhat I found with the two that I was interested in was that the price wasn't that much different than a non REO. On one I did one offer and the agent turned it down. Than finally I saw it go for less than what I was offering. It's been irritating nonetheless.

User Stats

Votes
Richard Bradshaw
  • Investor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • St Petersburg, FL
Replied Feb 29 2016, 09:05

@Daria B.it definitely depends on the condition of the property on whether you will get it at a discount and also what your market is like. I can't tell you why someone would reject a higher offer. All I can think is that the bank had already accepted the lower offer. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied Feb 29 2016, 10:43

@Richard BradshawIn the latter case, I looked at the property with my agent and gave an offer and on the first conversation she had with the agent, he said no. Aren't they supposed to send it to the seller (in this case the bank) and not just say no. Anyway, I walked away and found out a few months later it sold for less than my offer.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Franks
  • Rock Hill, SC
Votes |
  • Rock Hill, SC
Replied Mar 1 2016, 09:55
Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks:

Yep, waste of time trying to talk to the bank.  Odd that the bank actually got title during the BK.  I have one now, owners did BK 2008, house still in their name.

Agreed banks are just greedy lol but the truth

Alex