Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brian Orr
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Owner Financing a Flip

Brian Orr
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Feb 20 2016, 04:53

Hey all,

Curious if anybody has experience or advice on this. I'm wondering if I should consider a rent-to-own strategy, or maybe an owner finance strategy for my post-renovation properties. Are these dangerous waters to wade through? Or could I possibly be setting myself up for higher returns in the long run?

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Canton, GA
Replied Feb 20 2016, 04:59

Owner financing is not anymore dangerous compared to other conventional lending options available.  Owner financing is actually much better because you can determine the rate and other terms directly with the owner.  You don't have a bank holding all the cards in the deck.  Banks don't typically negotiate either.  It's either all or nothing with them.  I private/owner financed all 3 of my investment properties last year and it was the best option for me because all the banks required much higher down payments, higher terms and too many restrictions.  They were a barrier for me rather than a door opener to my opportunities.  To answer your question more fully, yes you could set yourself up for higher returns in the long run.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Orr
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Feb 20 2016, 05:02

Thanks @Account Closed... I'm not sure if I expressed myself correctly. I'm talking about after I purchase and rehab the house, as an option for me (as the owner) to finance to the new buyer. that said, I haven't looked into it as a financing option to get myself into more properties - so I will most definitely look into that further.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Canton, GA
Replied Feb 20 2016, 05:14

Yes, financing to a new buyer is a great option as well.  You are the lender so you can foreclose on the property if the buyer can't pay the note, and then re-sell it to someone new if that ever occurs.  You also get the monthly interest payments on top of your total sales price so instead of selling a rehab for $100k, you could get $110k or more depending on the rate you work out with the buyer.  It's also a great advertising strategy because buyers love seller financing due the easy transactional process most of the time.  You control the contract so you can make it 1 page, or 50.  It's just a much more customizable process.  There are loan servicers out there as well that can handle the payment collections and tax forms for both the seller and buyer as well so you can put this on auto pilot.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Orr
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Feb 20 2016, 05:16

Ah ok so this could be a beneficial strategy! Thanks again for the input I'll talk to my team and see if we can put this together. 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Feb 20 2016, 06:22

Brian, Dave is about 10 years behind, he's still in the predatory mind set of charging more for financing and the ability to take it back and do it someone else. Seller financing has been discussed here to great extents as well as the newish Dodd-Frank requirements. As a rehaber, doing construction on a house and seller financing to an occupant, you can't, same goes for any rent to own junk or lease-option to purchase without greater scrutiny than what investor types have done in the past, including last year. 

Before you strike off with an opinion or suggestion from just anyone, you better study the changes, I'm talking federal laws with penalties you don't even want to think about!

Now, if you lived in the home, were not in the business, there are exceptions that allow seller financing. You can seller finance to another investor as a commercial loan, but you're speaking about consumer financing.

As I said, read here on BP, there are a few, not many, who know seller financing as it is required to be done today so be careful about what you read on line. Good luck :)   

User Stats

Votes
Brian Orr
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Feb 20 2016, 06:33

Oh that's unfortunate @Bill Gulley. I've done some searching on BP but all I found were posts regarding investors receiving seller financing in order to purchase. I'll keep plugging around to find more information as well as search the dodd-frank. and of course, continue the conversation with my lawyer and accountant.

Thanks for the updated information!

User Stats

Votes
Jerry W.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thermopolis, WY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thermopolis, WY
ModeratorReplied Feb 20 2016, 06:36

@Brian Orryou have received some great advice, and some VERY DANGEROUS advice here.  @Bill Gulley gave you the great advice.  There is a federal law passed a few years ago in response to blaming lenders for the 2008-2011 crash.  It is called DODD/FRANK and it stinks.  If you build or rehab then owner finance the odds are high you will violate it.  Some of the penalties include them keeping the house and not having to pay you for it.  Sorry to break the bad news.  I guess I don't blame most people for not knowing it, I have not met a local attorney in my town who knows it.  The bankers know it as it has turned their life upside down as well.

User Stats

Votes
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Feb 20 2016, 06:40

Jerry, thanks, you just beat me. here is your vote (X) no voting window pops up for me!

Not that things have changed, not sure, but go to my profile,  then to my posts, that's probably the best way to find seller financing threads. Only read those from the past couple years, Dodd-Frank had changes so comments prior may not be applicable. Buying as an investor is usually fine, it's the selling side that's a pit of rattle snakes. 

Sorry, but you'll have to mention me to get me to a thread if you want to ask me something, I can't watch the board anymore to see what's being said by who. :) (  :(  )

User Stats

Votes
Jerry W.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thermopolis, WY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thermopolis, WY
ModeratorReplied Feb 20 2016, 06:52

@Brian Orrthe first time I saw Dodd/Frank mentioned was a post from Bill.  It was very poorly publicized to anyone but the banking industry.

User Stats

Votes
Rocky V.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Arlington, TX
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Arlington, TX
Replied Feb 20 2016, 07:46

@Brian OrrI just closed another owner financed deal a couple weeks ago.  Make sure you abide by all current rules/laws.  This is not something you want to close yourself.  I go through a title company and their attorneys as well as use a RMLO.  I do like to offer owner financing as I feel it expands my buyer pool.  Best of Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Lorenzo Hatten
  • Frederick, MD
Votes |
  • Frederick, MD
Replied Feb 20 2016, 07:59

Could anyone give me insight on what to provide to a private lender for them to make an informed decision?