Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
David Meadows
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colleyville, TX
Votes |
Quickbooks Earnest Money Deposit - Lost

David Meadows
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colleyville, TX
Posted

We walked away from a potential acquisition after our option period and therefore lost our Earnest Money Deposit. How do I record this loss/clear this in Quickbooks.  Right now I have $1000 sitting in my Earnest Money Deposits (Other Asset) account.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Account Closed
  • Retired Landlord/Author
  • Commerce Township, MI
Votes |
  • Retired Landlord/Author
  • Commerce Township, MI
Replied

You wrote a check for $1,000.00 for an Earnest Money Deposit.

It shows up in your Chart of Accounts under Earnest Money Other Asset Account.

Things didn't go as planned and now you need to remove it.  If you lost the deposit you would then make it an Expense Account. 

Let's say you lost the deposit money.  You will need to credit the Earnest Money Deposit Asset Account and debit a Earnest Money Deposit Lost Expense Account.  (Which means you will need to create that expense account in your Chart of Accounts). 

The first line of the journal entry is a credit because you are taking the money out.

The second line is your expense account because you are putting the money in. 

In the accounting world debits and credits are backwards and is why it is confusing to the normal person.  You would think crediting an account would be putting money into that account, but not so in accounting.  (Good Grief)

So let's take a look at our Chart of Accounts now.

We see the $1,000.00 is now gone from our Asset Account and  is now an expenses account (which doesn't show up in the Chart Accounts.  Instead the money shows up in our Profit and Loss Report.)  So let's take a look at the Profit and Loss Report. 

There it is as an expense account.

If you didn't lose the money and nobody cashed the check, then it is just an easy fix.  Just go back into your Vendor Center and void the check and that will void the  Earnest Money Asset Account as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas B.
  • Finance, Credit, and Insurance
  • Northwestern, PA
Votes |
  • Finance, Credit, and Insurance
  • Northwestern, PA
Replied

Unless the check happened in a different period and you've already submitted financials to a 3rd party, I'd skip the J/E and just go back to the check and change the account to an expense as @Account Closed said. QB lets you add the new account on the fly from the Write Checks window.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
David Meadows
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colleyville, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colleyville, TX
Replied

Thanks all, I try to avoid those pesky Journal Entries whenever I can and created an Expense (Deposit Losses) account to capture these, very rare (hopefully) events!