• Real Estate Consultant
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Difficulty selling rental properties at loan amount

Sabrina Brown
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Memphis, TN
Posted Sep 7 2015, 13:06

I own 3 rental properties in Memphis and have been renting them out since I got them.  However, last year I tried to sell them at 25% below market value and still only got offers for less than the loan amount.  I ended up having to put tenants in it again after not receiving any income for a year in addition to putting in another 20K to fix these properties up to make them turn key.  I can't refi because I am self employed and I can't do a short sale or approach the banks as to not to jeopardize my excellent credit rating.  

I would like to sell these properties as a package. They generate at least 1K/month in net profits (after PITI and management fees) and don't need any repairs.

Is there any other strategy I could use to offload these properties at a minimum of breaking even or just a tiny bit of a profit?  

I am currently looking for MFH's in CA and would also consider an exchange or other unique options.  Please advise!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Feb 27 2019, 14:04
Originally posted by @Greg Junge:

I just read this crazy long thread from beginning to end and WOW! I had a few turnkey providers on my radar in Memphis for recent out of state purchases but I have since crossed them off my list.  I'm sure there are deals in Memphis, even if you buy over 100k, which I would, to avoid many issues.  But it seems that Memphis is a highly rental heavy demographic and selling retail at the end isn't ideal, compared to other markets. I'm sure it can happen, but just not ideal.

I'm looking at a few other markets that have both cash flow and appreciation benefits, along with a solid exit strategy for down the road.  

Great thread, and really impressed with

@Jay Hinrichs comments, viewpoint, and outlook. I listened to your podcast in the past and recently re-listened to it.  Great job diving in! I'd love to connect...

Best of luck to all!
Greg

I gave you a vote just for reading all 12 pages, lol.

User Stats

Votes
Gabe Barlow
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Los Angeles
Replied Feb 27 2019, 19:31
Originally posted by @Greg Junge:

I just read this crazy long thread from beginning to end and WOW! I had a few turnkey providers on my radar in Memphis for recent out of state purchases but I have since crossed them off my list.  I'm sure there are deals in Memphis, even if you buy over 100k, which I would, to avoid many issues.  But it seems that Memphis is a highly rental heavy demographic and selling retail at the end isn't ideal, compared to other markets. I'm sure it can happen, but just not ideal.

I'm looking at a few other markets that have both cash flow and appreciation benefits, along with a solid exit strategy for down the road.  

Great thread, and really impressed with

@Jay Hinrichs comments, viewpoint, and outlook. I listened to your podcast in the past and recently re-listened to it.  Great job diving in! I'd love to connect...

Best of luck to all!
Greg

What other markets are you looking at?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Greg Junge
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Feb 28 2019, 09:41

@James Wise Ha thanks! I can justify it as my due diligence  for out of state investing, and I was in between appointments and it was certainly entertaining.

@Gabe Barlow I'm currently evaluating Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa for now.  I have Houston and Dallas as possibilities but I think the property taxes are too high in most cases.  

Any input on those three florida markets would be appreciated. I have contacted a few turnkey providers there but I'm careful to invest with turnkey, but will pull the trigger if the numbers work and the long term exit strategy is there for both a retail sell exit and/or investor sell exit.