• Real Estate Consultant
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Difficulty selling rental properties at loan amount

Sabrina Brown
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Memphis, TN
Posted Sep 7 2015, 13:06

I own 3 rental properties in Memphis and have been renting them out since I got them.  However, last year I tried to sell them at 25% below market value and still only got offers for less than the loan amount.  I ended up having to put tenants in it again after not receiving any income for a year in addition to putting in another 20K to fix these properties up to make them turn key.  I can't refi because I am self employed and I can't do a short sale or approach the banks as to not to jeopardize my excellent credit rating.  

I would like to sell these properties as a package. They generate at least 1K/month in net profits (after PITI and management fees) and don't need any repairs.

Is there any other strategy I could use to offload these properties at a minimum of breaking even or just a tiny bit of a profit?  

I am currently looking for MFH's in CA and would also consider an exchange or other unique options.  Please advise!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Feb 27 2019, 14:04
Originally posted by @Greg Junge:

I just read this crazy long thread from beginning to end and WOW! I had a few turnkey providers on my radar in Memphis for recent out of state purchases but I have since crossed them off my list.  I'm sure there are deals in Memphis, even if you buy over 100k, which I would, to avoid many issues.  But it seems that Memphis is a highly rental heavy demographic and selling retail at the end isn't ideal, compared to other markets. I'm sure it can happen, but just not ideal.

I'm looking at a few other markets that have both cash flow and appreciation benefits, along with a solid exit strategy for down the road.  

Great thread, and really impressed with

@Jay Hinrichs comments, viewpoint, and outlook. I listened to your podcast in the past and recently re-listened to it.  Great job diving in! I'd love to connect...

Best of luck to all!
Greg

I gave you a vote just for reading all 12 pages, lol.

User Stats

Votes
Gabe Barlow
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Los Angeles
Replied Feb 27 2019, 19:31
Originally posted by @Greg Junge:

I just read this crazy long thread from beginning to end and WOW! I had a few turnkey providers on my radar in Memphis for recent out of state purchases but I have since crossed them off my list.  I'm sure there are deals in Memphis, even if you buy over 100k, which I would, to avoid many issues.  But it seems that Memphis is a highly rental heavy demographic and selling retail at the end isn't ideal, compared to other markets. I'm sure it can happen, but just not ideal.

I'm looking at a few other markets that have both cash flow and appreciation benefits, along with a solid exit strategy for down the road.  

Great thread, and really impressed with

@Jay Hinrichs comments, viewpoint, and outlook. I listened to your podcast in the past and recently re-listened to it.  Great job diving in! I'd love to connect...

Best of luck to all!
Greg

What other markets are you looking at?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Greg Junge
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Feb 28 2019, 09:41

@James Wise Ha thanks! I can justify it as my due diligence  for out of state investing, and I was in between appointments and it was certainly entertaining.

@Gabe Barlow I'm currently evaluating Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa for now.  I have Houston and Dallas as possibilities but I think the property taxes are too high in most cases.  

Any input on those three florida markets would be appreciated. I have contacted a few turnkey providers there but I'm careful to invest with turnkey, but will pull the trigger if the numbers work and the long term exit strategy is there for both a retail sell exit and/or investor sell exit.