Stupid question? Why do people sell good properties?

Stupid question? Why do people sell good properties?

Renter · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2014 · 101 posts · 11 votes

This is going to sound dumb but I truely don't understand. Ive been searching properties and out of hundreds have found 4 in my area that are killer deals, meeting (and exceeding) the 2% rule, while not being in the ghetto or having a cracked foundation. My question is, why would someone sell these investment properties when they cash flow very positively? They already have renters (some of them) and the math shows the owners are collecting a nice check (a check that would definitely cover the mortgage of the property 2 to 3 times over)

Any feedback would be much appreciated, constructive criticism welcome!!

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Clay SmithBusiness Member
Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 244 votes
11y

I would offload a property that produces cash flow but I think might be a struggle to offload 5 years or more from now. Also, if a neighborhood is depreciating or I no longer liked the neighborhood.

Bottom line, these are not distressed sellers and you are paying near market rate. I would only buy if I was a first timer putting down 20% or less and wanted a turnkey property to ease me into managing a property.

LREI Property Management LLC4.6442 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Landlord · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2011 · 120 posts · 96 votes
    11y
    There are many reasons. Change in financial situation, need for cash from the sale rather than steady smaller cash flow, divorce, trading up to a bigger or better property, or it could be the person is retiring from landlording
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Knowing how heavy the investor presence is in FL, I would have to first ask where you found these deals? Because, if you tell me the MLS, I'm going to have to ask you to post your assumptions about the deal. I just don't believe there are that kinds of deals on the MLS in a market like FL, unless there is something seriously distressed about the property.

    If you're finding these properties off market, then...good for you...that's the whole idea!!  People have as many reasons for selling properties as there are investors ready to buy them.  Maybe they've had some unexpected expenses or a personal tragedy.  Maybe there is a divorce and forced liquidation of assets.  Maybe they are just tired of dealing with tenants.  You never know.  Figuring out what their problem is and how you can help solve it is 1/2 the fun!

  • Renter · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2014 · 101 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    @Hattie Dizmond i found 1 of them on the MLS and the other 3 i just realizered wernt mls as i though but a foreclosure section of the website :/ but i was going by thinking that if i find compe in the area for rent and then use the 50% rule to see whats left for the mortgage, then subtract my mortgage and see the left over money. I know my reasoning is very elementary but im just getting started, I found the deal calculator this morning and will start using it on one or two to see what I am missing.

    How do you market when first starting out? Just buying One or two off the mls to get your roots solid and then start finding foreclosures? Or is that something even a beginner can pursue with the right team?

    Thank you

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Caleb Mclamb There's a great tool here on BP to analyze the profitability of rentals...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/buy-and-hold-calculator

    As for marketing, I would suggest you focus on deal analysis and get involved with your local REIA's. There you should be able to locate a couple of good wholesalers.  But, you're not going to be able to identify the good ones, unless you can analyze the deals like a pro and figure out which ones are actually offering you good deals vs. which ones are just trying to make money on junk.

  • Renter · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2014 · 101 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    @Hattie Dizmond thats the calculator i meant, yes. And ive only found one REIA in my area and am looking forward to going later this month, is it worth using a wholesaler as a new investor? I dont have allot of properties so I have nothing but time to search for deals and learn on my own. What do you think?

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Caleb Mclamb My only point in suggesting you find a wholesaler, is that marketing for
    "real deals" may not be what you want to spend your time on. There are a lot of different ways you can go about getting started in REI. You're looking at long-term buy & hold strategies. Are you interested in doing rehab or would you prefer turnkey? If rehabs are an option, what level of rehab would you be willing to take on? Do you want to invest your time and money into marketing or would you prefer to focus solely on acquisition?

    What is your financing plan? Are you going to be doing non-insured mortgages? FHA insured with occupancy requirements? If you're doing any kind of conventional mortgages, you will be at an extreme disadvantage on the REO properties, since you will be competing against cash offers. Also, if you're going to do rehabs, you'll need to ensure the property - in its purchase condition - can be underwritten according to the guidelines of the mortgage you are leveraging.

    I'm NOT trying to discourage you or send you into analysis paralysis.  But, there are things you have to know to protect yourself...deal analysis being the most important.

    Teaming up with an honest, knowledgeable and experienced wholesaler or flipper or buy & hold investor is absolutely a good idea for a newbie.  It's the #1 recommendation you will find here on BP.  That wholesaler can teach you about deal analysis, probably about marketing, and can provide you with deal flow, until you can get your own funnel primed - if you plan to do your own marketing.  You have time & the willingness to learn & act.  Maybe you can offer that to an experienced investor to go out and preview properties for them.  In return, you get to shadow them in their acquisition &/or flip process.

    Define your strategy & approach.  Define your market.  Learn to analyze deals.  Get plugged in and network your socks off. 

  • Investor · Athens, GA · Member since 2011 · 306 posts · 156 votes
    11y

    Interview and find a good agent that does lots of deals and represents lots of property owners as a property manager. You might have to call and talk to a bunch of folks out there. Go the the REIA meetings like Hattie said. The flipper partnership will also be good too. If you have time at all you can go and Birddog for them and learn that way. Keep in mind the 2% rule doesnt work everywhere, but if you want to force it, then go ahead but you will have to make lots of low offers, or focus on multifamily which will often give you a better return and lower the risk. No reason you cant just start with multi-family.

  • Renter · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2014 · 101 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    @Hattie Dizmond i love how much i cringe at your responses haha i could spend a week findin the answers to all your questions. Thank you for being thorough and very helpful. I contacted a broker today who i went to school with who's father is a full time realty investor and am setting up a meeting asap i cant wait to learn and eventually invest for myself. @Ethan Atkinson  the more i learn the more i hear the 2% rule is a high figure and the old 1% rule is a dont even think about it if its bellow this number. Does anyone shoot for 1.5? Maybe 1.8? 

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    I love making people cringe. 

    the 2% rule is just a guideline.  In some markets that's really hard to hit.  That's why I keep telling you that you need to determine what your goals are.  Who cares if it doesn't hit the 2% rule, if it meets your criteria...no one!  If I have a goal of a minimum cash flow of $200/mo, but that only nets out 1%, I'm still meeting my goals.

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 577 posts · 203 votes
    11y

    Because the properties are in markets that are peaking!  Intelligent investors move money from one great market to another great market to capitalize on market movements (selling at peak in one market, buying at expansion in another).

  • Clay SmithBusiness Member
    Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 244 votes
    11y

    I would offload a property that produces cash flow but I think might be a struggle to offload 5 years or more from now. Also, if a neighborhood is depreciating or I no longer liked the neighborhood.

    Bottom line, these are not distressed sellers and you are paying near market rate. I would only buy if I was a first timer putting down 20% or less and wanted a turnkey property to ease me into managing a property.

    LREI Property Management LLC4.6442 Reviews
  • Wholesaler · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 401 votes
    11y

    Why do people sell good properties, easy they have good reasons. I for one have been asked why  I sold a property and the answer is always the same I sell or buy anytime I can improve my position. 

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 577 posts · 203 votes
    11y

    Yes. I agree with Brian, but what "improving one's position" means will be different for each person depending on their goals and what they're looking to accomplish.  This explains why there are sometimes seemingly great deals to be had (because one person's in a position where they must sell, may be an opportunity for another to improve their position).  This is also why seeking to understand your buyer and what they are looking to accomplish is a major advantage (investors particular goals may differ and it's not always to get the most cash out of a transaction).

  • Renter · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2014 · 101 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    @Hattie DizmondI have been formulating goals and a long TO DO list for a few days, I posted my ideas in the Real Estate Goals and Currently seeking sections of my profile page, its not fully detailed out but this is my general game plan. My price points for the different sizes of homes are based off rent ranging from $500-$800. 

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Awesome!

  • Renter · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2014 · 101 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    I see many helpful posts on my question but the most "AH HAH" comment was that the investor is selling when the market is peaked. I have read this but it makes much more sense now. If he bought low he has much to gain by selling at a peak point if his mortgage is paid or not paid if he wants the cash to 1031 (or something) into another property. 

    thank you for the many helpful responses!

  • Chris ClothierBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Caleb Mclamb 

    Great question.  I have enjoyed reading the responses and voted for a few that I really liked and wanted to add one.  My family has bought over 600 properties in the first nine months this year in Memphis, Dallas and Houston.  We have kept about 8-10% of those and sold the rest even though they all had sound fundamentals.  They all had 1+% price/rent ratios and all were located in areas that we were willing to own ourselves.  The reason for selling is that we would have had to grow a significant credit line.  That would have increased our risk and required us to service the debt on those properties.  That would be a rather large nut to cover.  So we will end up adding a few more properties in the 4th quarter and continue to sell the rest.  It is our business model to sell good properties so that adds another reason to your list of why investors (or companies in our case) sell good properties that are cash flowing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.