Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Chris Schwartz
Votes |
How To Price Home?

Chris Schwartz
Posted

Location/Listing Price Problem:

I have a house that will be renovated and flipped for sale. A good number of homes in the surrounding area have been renovated and are fetching $260k+ in SP....however I'm having a hard time trying to price mine for market. The difference and con is this house is at the end of a street that both backs up to the rear of a commercial store and is very near a busy highway. The state of OH took 90% of the back yard of the house across the street (nearest the highway) for widening - they have since put up a giant ugly metal barrier right in their backyard. Pros of this are noise reduction...cons are obvious. Can't really see the metal wall from my house but you can see the roof to the commercial building as you're driving in and in the winter the trees provide less cover - although there is a very high and nice privacy fence to separate. 

My question: How would you price this home and how much of a hit, if any, would you expect due to location? See photos for reference 

User Stats

Votes
Giselle Azcona-Lubbock
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Jersey
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New Jersey
Replied

What  about the neighborhood? is it a desired location? School system? How long long to homes typically stay on the market for in that area? These questions might play a factor on price as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Peter Stewart
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied

Hire an experienced real estate broker to help you price and sell the property. 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Some buyers will care, some not. I went through a 750,000 openhouse with sold/pending sign that had a 100 foot 32000 volt high tension tower so close I could hit it with a baseball (in my youth). I kept saying to myself - who would live here.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Schwartz
Votes |
Replied

Great to hear - and I needed to hear that I think. I've also walked through homes like that and thought the same thing...then behold, they go under contract sometimes even above ask. It's certainly intimidating when you're weighing whether to put $20-40k into a property or not. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Schwartz
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Giselle Azcona-Lubbock:

What  about the neighborhood? is it a desired location? School system? How long long to homes typically stay on the market for in that area? These questions might play a factor on price as well. 

This is an excellent answer, thank you!