Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Looking to buy my second investment property

Brandon Wallace
Posted

So over 2 years ago I bought my first investment property. It's an upper/lower duplex that me and my fiancé live in while renting out the upper unit. We are looking at getting another investment property. We don't have much cash on hand to buy and fix up our next property. We've looked into the refi or HELOC paths. We don't want to do a cash out refi due to having a 2.5 interest rate. So we were leaning more towards a HELOC. Is this a smart move? Why or why not? The property we want has been vacant for 2+ years now and it's 4 houses down from us. I Would offer the owner no more than $85,000 and probably needs $30,000-$50,000 worth of work. I Can probably rent it for $1,200-$1,300 when it's all done.

User Stats

Votes
Ash Hegde
  • Lender
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT GA MI PA)
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied

A HELOC can work for this, but keep in mind it has a variable rate, so it isn't the best product for keeping a balance long term.

If you have a lot of equity, sometimes a cash out refi will have a better rate than the blended rate of original mortgage plus HELOC. That may not be the case here since you've only owned your property for two years.

The target investment property looks like it will cash flow nicely! 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Wallace
Replied
Quote from @Ash Hegde:

A HELOC can work for this, but keep in mind it has a variable rate, so it isn't the best product for keeping a balance long term.

If you have a lot of equity, sometimes a cash out refi will have a better rate than the blended rate of original mortgage plus HELOC. That may not be the case here since you've only owned your property for two years.

The target investment property looks like it will cash flow nicely! 

Does it make a difference for a cash out refi that I spent about $30,000 fixing up my current place. Basically changing the entire inside making it a much nicer living space. 
BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Ash Hegde
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied

The rehab on your primary will help with the cash out refi, there will be a new appraisal which should reflect the higher market value.