Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Terese Victor
Votes |
Negotiating selling commission on a $1.2M sale

Terese Victor
Posted Aug 8 2024, 11:24

I've sold 6 properties in Denver metro (all under $500K sales price) and the highest commission I've paid to my selling realtor has been 2.5% (+2.5 or 2.8% to the buyer's realtor). I am now prepping to sell a home for $1.1M to $1.2M, so I am planning to offer my selling realtor a max of 2%, and the buyer's realtor the same. Does this seem reasonable?
I also pay for performance, meaning if my selling realtor gets my full net-price or better, I bonus them an extra .2% (which would be $2,400 in this example).

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Aug 8 2024, 11:33

That's fair. For those price points around the 2% is common. Good agents will always be worth it

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Wilken
  • Investor
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Washington, DC
Replied Aug 8 2024, 14:19

Two percent for the listing agent is fair.

With the new flexibility due to the NAR settlement, I wouldn't, as a seller, offer to pay the buyer's commission and have the buyer pay the buyer's commission. After all the buyer is receiving a service from their broker and they are best positioned to negotiate the commission between themselves. I am listing a property now and this is what I am doing. While the listing agent may encourage you to offer a buyer's broker commission to motivate them to have their client consider the property, A) they buyer should now have an agreement regarding the commission and B) the buyer will see the property on online platform, diminishing concerne about the broker steering away from properties that don't offer a buyer's commission.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Aug 8 2024, 14:31

The buyer will include in their offer what they are seeking for their buyer agent now. So what you offer, no longer matters.

On the listing side, there's everyone out there from very cheap, to very expensive. You should decide who you want to work with first. Find the person that is a best fit for you. Then when you've found them, look at negotiating the fee and see if you and them can align on a number.

User Stats

Votes
Terese Victor
Votes |
Replied Aug 8 2024, 18:00
Quote from @Christopher Wilken:

Two percent for the listing agent is fair.

With the new flexibility due to the NAR settlement, I wouldn't, as a seller, offer to pay the buyer's commission and have the buyer pay the buyer's commission. After all the buyer is receiving a service from their broker and they are best positioned to negotiate the commission between themselves. I am listing a property now and this is what I am doing. While the listing agent may encourage you to offer a buyer's broker commission to motivate them to have their client consider the property, A) they buyer should now have an agreement regarding the commission and B) the buyer will see the property on online platform, diminishing concerne about the broker steering away from properties that don't offer a buyer's commission.

That's right, thanks -- I forgot that NAR takes effect in 9 days and I'll be listing after that. Since many buyers struggle with paying the down payment (in Denver, $1M is no longer luxury) I wonder if they'll have an extra $24K'ish to pay their buyer's agent -- I'm guessing they will want to roll it into the purchase price?

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
#2 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Investor
Replied Aug 8 2024, 19:29

Just ask a qualified agent that gets done at those price points what they charge and add it to the sales price, and the buyers side too. Then operate from there. On the sell side, you definitely want to push the quality button. Have the agent married to getting it done.