Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Beth D.
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
Would you buy a property you likely won’t be able to resell later?

Beth D.
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Posted

Newbie here.

We're looking at a property that has potential to be either a STR or LTR. It's been unable to sell because the original house was a single wide in the 70s that was then added on to.

This makes financing either difficult or very expensive for people (especially since it’s a low price point and mainly first time buyers).

We would be paying cash - so it’s not an issue for us. But even though we plan to hold the property the reality/risk of not being able to pull equity or sell easily later on without maybe a land contract is kind of concerning?

For the right price - would you still consider this situation?

Additional details: You would never know there was a single wide originally - the house is now 75% new/stickbuilt and all roof/siding is seamless between the OG trailer and “addition”. Even the inside is done well. There is also an acre lot and garage and the price point is well below any equivalent newer trailers or stick built homes of similar size in the area (probably 50% of their value).

User Stats

Votes
Bob P.#1 Off Topic Contributor
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied
Quote from @Beth D.:

Newbie here.

We're looking at a property that has potential to be either a STR or LTR. It's been unable to sell because the original house was a single wide in the 70s that was then added on to.

This makes financing either difficult or very expensive for people (especially since it’s a low price point and mainly first time buyers).

We would be paying cash - so it’s not an issue for us. But even though we plan to hold the property the reality/risk of not being able to pull equity or sell easily later on without maybe a land contract is kind of concerning?

For the right price - would you still consider this situation?

Additional details: You would never know there was a single wide originally - the house is now 75% new/stickbuilt and all roof/siding is seamless between the OG trailer and “addition”. Even the inside is done well. There is also an acre lot and garage and the price point is well below any equivalent newer trailers or stick built homes of similar size in the area (probably 50% of their value).

Many investors make good cash flow turning mobiled into rentals. 

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Lewis
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied

It really just limits your exit options and decreases your ability to leverage. If you are looking to do this deal, I suggest looking at seller financing and then having an exit strategy to sell to an all-cash buyer, but personally, I would look at other deals. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!