• Chicago
Votes |
Need advice on a 2nd primary and what to do with force appreciation

Tony Pham
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago
Posted Jul 23 2024, 04:03

So I have a primary residence now that I bought back in 2020. It has 3.125 percent and I’m sitting at about 100k in equity on that property. 

Now fast forward 4 years, I found a potential good deal in a way better neighborhood that the wife and I want to move to. It's next door to her mother's house. The seller wants to do a private sale(yes I have an inspector and contractor on hand). He wants to sell for 300k but willing to negotiate. His has has 2 bed, 1.5 bath but has an unfinished basement which I'll be adding 1 more room and 1 more bath. Comps in the area are saying I'll probably get around 450k ARV.

Now with that said, after i cash out refi, how do I get into more real estate? I’d probably need money for a down payment and more money for rehab as well. I’m not too familiar with cash out refi and how much I’d get back and all the ins and outs of that just yet.

thank you in advance

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 23 2024, 05:52
Quote from @Tony Pham:

Congratulations on making it this far!

If you cash out your current equity, you will be borrowing money for the down payment. Your monthly expenses will include the new mortgage plus the loan against your equity. This is 100% leveraging, which is high-risk, and it probably doesn't make sense because the loans will be more than the income.

This property sounds like a good opportunity, but I recommend you find a way to save up for the down payment. Don't cash out the equity unless mortgage rates are significantly lower and the numbers make sense.

User Stats

Votes
Tony Pham
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago
Replied Jul 23 2024, 06:19
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Tony Pham:

Congratulations on making it this far!

If you cash out your current equity, you will be borrowing money for the down payment. Your monthly expenses will include the new mortgage plus the loan against your equity. This is 100% leveraging, which is high-risk, and it probably doesn't make sense because the loans will be more than the income.

This property sounds like a good opportunity, but I recommend you find a way to save up for the down payment. Don't cash out the equity unless mortgage rates are significantly lower and the numbers make sense.

I’m sorry to mention, I don’t want to pull money out of the first house. I actually just want to rent it out and keep the equity in it.

im pulling out of my 401k for a down payment and my wife is going to pull 50k out of her trust fund for rehab cost on the 2nd house.

i was mainly talking about after i rehab the second house(will be my new primary). And cash out refi on that with the new ARV

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jack Matthias
  • Lender
  • Chicago
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Chicago
Replied Jul 23 2024, 09:13

Great idea by not refinancing that current mortgage on your primary. You will never want to touch that. Your going to have to wait to refinance after the work is completed to let the project season. Which won't be a terrible idea since rates should be declining at the same time. Then once seasoned, come back cash out refi into a lower rate and repeat if you choose to do so.

User Stats

Votes
Tony Pham
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago
Replied Jul 23 2024, 10:03

How long do I have to let it season? And yea I don’t want to touch the current property. I do want to rehab the new property and refi that into a new property. I just don’t really know what to do after that