Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kasi V Thiagarajan
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
PURCHASE CONTRACT AND ESCROW INSTRUCTIONS - Any downsides

Kasi V Thiagarajan
  • Raleigh, NC
Posted Jul 22 2024, 16:57

Hello fellow investors,

I recently listed my property on Zillow as FOR SALE BY OWNER. Within days, I received several calls and emails with offers to buy under PURCHASE CONTRACT AND ESCROW INSTRUCTIONS. They sent me a contract to sign with the purchase price and timeline.

My concern is how they can provide a price without even inspecting the property. Additionally, repair costs (if any),  all closing costs are covered by the buyer, and there is no commission!

Is there a catch? What are the potential downsides of this process? What clauses should we be careful of? While under contract, can we still offer to sell to others?

Thanks for the help.

User Stats

Votes
Bob P.
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jul 22 2024, 17:52
Quote from @Kasi V Thiagarajan:

Hello fellow investors,

I recently listed my property on Zillow as FOR SALE BY OWNER. Within days, I received several calls and emails with offers to buy under PURCHASE CONTRACT AND ESCROW INSTRUCTIONS. They sent me a contract to sign with the purchase price and timeline.

My concern is how they can provide a price without even inspecting the property. Additionally, repair costs (if any),  all closing costs are covered by the buyer, and there is no commission!

Is there a catch? What are the potential downsides of this process? What clauses should we be careful of? While under contract, can we still offer to sell to others?

Thanks for the help.

Lol. It's probably a wholesaler. Lots of "catches". The P&SA "can be cancelled at anytime for any reason" from their end but not from yours, the EMD is fully refundable to them, and you can't be trying to sell while "under their agreement". It's pretty one sided.

During their "inspection period" they will list everything wrong with the property, "real or imagined" and try to get you to reduce your price. They will probably file a memorandum that prevents you from selling without giving them a substantial amount of money. That is a very devastating position to be in.

Before you sign anything, have an attorney look over the agreement and explain it to you.

You want to ask the "buyer", "what is the name of the person that will take title",(if they are not taking it into their name or entity, it is a wholesaler. Also ask "are you covering closing costs", "please provide proof of ability to close." You do have to know how to read these, but at least ask for them.

If you aren't familiar with this process, have someone help you through it.

User Stats

Votes
Kasi V Thiagarajan
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jul 22 2024, 20:56

Thank you so much, Bob. 

I greatly appreciate your quick response. You've clarified my doubts, and now I can make a fully informed decision.

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Casey CJ Noble
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Jul 27 2024, 05:18

Hi Kasi - there are certainly some red flags here as to the legitimacy of the buyer(s).  Like Bob, mentioned, perhaps they are wholesalers looking to take advantage of an unrepresented seller.  Give me a shout if you'd like to connect to discuss the offers and best options to most efficiently sell your property!

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied Jul 27 2024, 05:45

I don't mean to be rude here, but the fact that you are getting offers and you aren't sure what they are or the strategy behind them tells me that you shouldn't be doing a FSBO.

Understanding the strategy and terms behind offers and a P&S is where hundreds of thousands of dollars can be won or lost. The purchase price is just one, small piece of the puzzle.

I'd reccomend that you interview a few agents or brokers to help you list. You'll get better exposure and professional representation. A good agent will more than pay for themselves in profit, time and stress. 

User Stats

Votes
Ken Holifield
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Jul 27 2024, 07:50

Totally agree with all the comments so far.  There are many good agents/brokers around here who understand the investing side of real estate.  Find one that you feel comfortable with and use them for their knowledge and expertise.  The real agents/brokers have a license and would not jeopardize their license to make a quick buck like some of the people shooting you quick offers.  Hope this helps, good luck!