Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Renee Jones
Votes |
3mth Loan To Start Reno - Renovation Funds Held in Escrow (Reinbursment Only)

Renee Jones
Posted Jul 3 2024, 06:44

I am doing a job in Shaker Heights OH for which I currently have 150% of budget in escrow with the town housing dpt.

I can only get the funds released once violations are rectified. Where can I go to borrow money to give the contractor in order to get the project started? 60 day turn around, I put 90 just to allow for the unexpected. 30 day reno timeline as per my contractor.

Help! Would love to get this started yesterday 

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jul 3 2024, 08:22

Hello Renee, to get your project started in Shaker Heights, OH, there are financing options you can consider to borrow money for the contractor. As a loan officer, I understand the urgency on this, so please don't hesitate to schedule a call with me sometime this week to chat using the link down below. I'm sure there are plenty of creative financing options to best fit your situation. 

https://calendly.com/tycoutts\

Best,

Ty

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 4 2024, 05:16
Quote from @Renee Jones:

I am doing a job in Shaker Heights OH for which I currently have 150% of budget in escrow with the town housing dpt.

I can only get the funds released once violations are rectified. Where can I go to borrow money to give the contractor in order to get the project started? 60 day turn around, I put 90 just to allow for the unexpected. 30 day reno timeline as per my contractor.

Ok 1st question, WHY IN THE WORLD would you buy in SH? I have been doing biz in the clev, markets for 10 years, 100s and 100s and 100s of deals, NEVER ONE in SH. Inspectors are the most arrogant, in all of the cities a nightmare to work with.  2nd, how many have you done in Cleveland overall? 3rd, who's is the contractor, is he someone you just " found" or have you had success with him? So 50k reno in SH? Is this for a rental or flipping to a homeowner? I hope you have a big profit, not less than 30% (if it's a flip) 15-% net cap if its a rental.

maybe I can help, 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Regina Blake
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 4 2024, 08:41

Hi, yes you will need to speak with your Lender/ Bank/professional financial advisor. There are strict rules and regulations in Shaker Hts. and a lot of the other cities and suburbs. They will lead you in the right direction. Good luck and best wishes!

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 4 2024, 09:51
Quote from @Renee Jones:

Did you purchase this withOUT knowing about the POS process? 

User Stats

Votes
Renee Jones
Votes |
Replied Jul 4 2024, 11:07

@Bob Stevens

Answers to your questions: 2nd BRRR in Cleveland. My contractor is great, referred by a fellow successful investor and also shared that, he himself stays away from Shaker for similar reasons (inspectors, process etc). With that said he was clear and communicated what he would push back on, why, and how. He saw my property and agreed, not only a good deal but a great property.

The reno budget including reserves is 35K (I referenced the town needed 150% of the budget in escrow) and YES the net cap is greater than 15% :)

If you or someone you know could float 30K for 60 days, you/they could definitely help. Terms negotiable.

Why Shaker Heights Short answer: Purchased under 70% ARV-Reno, Duplex (two rents), desirable clean neighborhood, decent schools. Important to me and those I plan to rent to. Why Shaker Heights Long answer:  Of the many offers I sent on various properties I wanted; this one kept going back-on-market. I stuck to my price and stayed in the realtor's email and text with my quick close (which it was) the deal came through. Many renovations and updates are already done (half the windows, all bathrooms, both kitchens) and I love a Tudor. Turns out the investor who purchased b4 me and started work was in a situation took the loss and has other profitable ventures.

User Stats

Votes
Renee Jones
Votes |
Replied Jul 4 2024, 11:11

@Bob Stevens

My title guy stated as long as the town can see the funds are in escrow the funds would stay with the title company. That was inaccurate so I'm putting out feelers for options to start the project. Learning and making connections along the way... thanks for your response and any help or expertise you have to share...

User Stats

Votes
Renee Jones
Votes |
Replied Jul 4 2024, 11:14

@Regina Blake

Yes so far Shaker I've heard is the strictest, thanks for your response!

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 4 2024, 11:32
Quote from @Renee Jones:

@Bob Stevens

Answers to your questions: 2nd BRRR in Cleveland. My contractor is great, referred by a fellow successful investor and also shared that, he himself stays away from Shaker for similar reasons (inspectors, process etc). With that said he was clear and communicated what he would push back on, why, and how. He saw my property and agreed, not only a good deal but a great property.

The reno budget including reserves is 35K (I referenced the town needed 150% of the budget in escrow) and YES the net cap is greater than 15% :)

If you or someone you know could float 30K for 60 days, you/they could definitely help. Terms negotiable.

Why Shaker Heights Short answer: Purchased under 70% ARV-Reno, Duplex (two rents), desirable clean neighborhood, decent schools. Important to me and those I plan to rent to. Why Shaker Heights Long answer:  Of the many offers I sent on various properties I wanted; this one kept going back-on-market. I stuck to my price and stayed in the realtor's email and text with my quick close (which it was) the deal came through. Many renovations and updates are already done (half the windows, all bathrooms, both kitchens) and I love a Tudor. Turns out the investor who purchased b4 me and started work was in a situation took the loss and has other profitable ventures.

what's your all-in price? 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 4 2024, 11:33
Quote from @Renee Jones:

@Bob Stevens

My title guy stated as long as the town can see the funds are in escrow the funds would stay with the title company. That was inaccurate so I'm putting out feelers for options to start the project. Learning and making connections along the way... thanks for your response and any help or expertise you have to share...

I just hope it goes well, and is worth it at the end of the day. If you need anything reach out. Also I have PM I can recommend. DO NOT try and go it alone. 

User Stats

Votes
Renee Jones
Votes |
Replied Jul 4 2024, 12:55

@Bob Stevens