Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Yippi Jim
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Votes |
Suggestions needed to sell my rental in Kansas City, MO

Yippi Jim
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Posted Jun 25 2024, 08:57

Hello all,

I am consider selling a rental property in KC, MO. The location is not one of the good areas (64130) so it is relatively cheap. I bought it around 85K in 2021. Currently, there is a tenant in the property. 

How is the current market in the Kansas City, MO? Do you recommend that I start the process when the current tenant's lease ends, or when the tenant is still in the property? And do you have recommendations for the agents that I can reach out to?

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Lindsey Mannix
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Woodland Park, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Woodland Park, CO
Replied Jun 25 2024, 10:12

Hi Yippi,

I'd be happy to connect you with an amazing agent in KC if you'd like. Feel free to reach out anytime. As for your question about waiting on the lease to end or listing now, I have a couple of questions back - how much longer is the lease for? If you were to wait until the lease ends, can you afford to carry the costs of the property until sold? What is the need to sell? The answers to those questions would guide the recommendation I would give. Happy to connect!

~ Lindsey

User Stats

Votes
Milton Chamberlain
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jun 25 2024, 14:32

Hi,

I would recommend making it vacant.

Traditional Owner occupant financing requires the buyer to take possession within 60 days. Having the tenant  makes it:

A) harder to show the property, making it harder to sell

B) prevents a majority of owner occupant buyers from being able to offer on the home. So with only a majority of investor buyers, your sold price will be lower.

You can sell it occupied, but if lease ends soon, I would suggest making it vacant, painting interior, cleaning it, etc. this will get you the most money.

I have connections for all those services

This year will be like the last two years. Which means we will start to slow down in late July, and then enter the winter slow season in October.

Assuming rates remain above six percent, I’m guessing the spring market will kick back up in February. Just like the last two years.

Right now we are still in the sellers busy summer market.

You can of course sell from September to February, but there is less buyer demand. So your sold price would likely be less than selling in spring/summer

reach out if you want to discuss more

ReeceNichols Real Estate Logo
NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 26 2024, 07:46

I work with New Western in Pittsburgh, and we have an office in KC that you should get in touch with. Cash offer, quick closing! 

User Stats

Votes
Yippi Jim
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Replied Jun 26 2024, 08:58
Quote from @Lindsey Mannix:

Hi Yippi,

I'd be happy to connect you with an amazing agent in KC if you'd like. Feel free to reach out anytime. As for your question about waiting on the lease to end or listing now, I have a couple of questions back - how much longer is the lease for? If you were to wait until the lease ends, can you afford to carry the costs of the property until sold? What is the need to sell? The answers to those questions would guide the recommendation I would give. Happy to connect!

~ Lindsey

Thank you Lindsey! The lease ends in the end of September. I do not have a very urgent need to sell, simply I want to allocate the money to some other assets. Yes, it is not a problem to wait for the lease to end before selling, but I am also concerned that if the market is slow at that time, the vacancy will be too long.

User Stats

Votes
Yippi Jim
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Replied Jun 26 2024, 09:00
Quote from @Milton Chamberlain:

Hi,

I would recommend making it vacant.

Traditional Owner occupant financing requires the buyer to take possession within 60 days. Having the tenant  makes it:

A) harder to show the property, making it harder to sell

B) prevents a majority of owner occupant buyers from being able to offer on the home. So with only a majority of investor buyers, your sold price will be lower.

You can sell it occupied, but if lease ends soon, I would suggest making it vacant, painting interior, cleaning it, etc. this will get you the most money.

I have connections for all those services

This year will be like the last two years. Which means we will start to slow down in late July, and then enter the winter slow season in October.

Assuming rates remain above six percent, I’m guessing the spring market will kick back up in February. Just like the last two years.

Right now we are still in the sellers busy summer market.

You can of course sell from September to February, but there is less buyer demand. So your sold price would likely be less than selling in spring/summer

reach out if you want to discuss more

Thank you Milton! The information about timing is very helpful!. 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Olson
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Kansas City Metro
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Kansas City Metro
Replied Jun 28 2024, 07:59

What is current rent on the place? What deferred maintenance is there? What sells well in KC is well occupied well maintained properties with great leases in place. 

User Stats

Votes
Yippi Jim
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Replied Jun 28 2024, 14:26
Quote from @Alex Olson:

What is current rent on the place? What deferred maintenance is there? What sells well in KC is well occupied well maintained properties with great leases in place. 

Hi Alex, thank you for the info! The current rent is $950. The property had a rehab and a floor upgrade to LVP last year. Currently, no pending maintenance.

User Stats

Votes
Lee Ripma
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Prairie Village, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Prairie Village, KS
Replied Jul 6 2024, 11:38

@Yippi Jim

This area can be sold to either owner-occupants or to investors seeking cash flowing rentals. I don't know the exact location of your rental. A quick look at comps shows that tenant-occupied properties are selling at 65-110k while some sold to owner occupants are selling at up to 200k in this zip code. There is actually great demand in this area so I wouldn't write it off as a bad area at all! The nice thing about selling it as a rental is you can cash flow until close and you won't need to do updates that owner occupants are expecting. I am putting a link to actual comps below so you can see how your property stacks up. With your current rent I'd guess your exit is probably limited to 110k if sold with a tenant in place. If you could get significantly more than that selling it to an owner occupant consider that. 

https://portal.onehome.com/en-US/share/1009945E65373

I hope this helps! 

User Stats

Votes
Yippi Jim
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • California
Replied Jul 11 2024, 09:33
Quote from @Lee Ripma:

@Yippi Jim

This area can be sold to either owner-occupants or to investors seeking cash flowing rentals. I don't know the exact location of your rental. A quick look at comps shows that tenant-occupied properties are selling at 65-110k while some sold to owner occupants are selling at up to 200k in this zip code. There is actually great demand in this area so I wouldn't write it off as a bad area at all! The nice thing about selling it as a rental is you can cash flow until close and you won't need to do updates that owner occupants are expecting. I am putting a link to actual comps below so you can see how your property stacks up. With your current rent I'd guess your exit is probably limited to 110k if sold with a tenant in place. If you could get significantly more than that selling it to an owner occupant consider that. 

https://portal.onehome.com/en-US/share/1009945E65373

I hope this helps! 

Thank you very much!

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied Jul 11 2024, 09:48

Hey @Yippi Jim - I recommend starting the selling process once the tenant is out. 

This will make things MUCH easier. I am currently a broker and investor myself, and am planning on selling a few of my properties in the coming year. 

I have it fully tenanted and have provided the tenants a 12 months notice and plan on checking in with them every 3 months to ensure they're on track. To incentivize them, I've provided NO lease break fees if they find something sooner and want to make the jump.