Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
John Kelp
Votes |
Does it make sense to keep these 2 properties ?

John Kelp
Posted

Long story short , didn’t do my due diligence . Purchased not one but two properties from a foreclosure with no title search . Comes to find out each property has a mortgage. Combined with the price I paid through the auction, they are much higher than market value

property 1: paid 100k, owe 170k. Worth 200k. Rent is 1800 and HOA is 400

property 2: paid 280, owe 370, worth 500. Rent is 3500, HOA is 1500.

I have a lawyer negotiating with the lenders currently. 

what would you do if you were in this situation? Buy out the properties mortgages and sell it for a loss and try to minimize the total loss? Or rent out, refinance , and recoup money else where knowing what I know now .

User Stats

Votes
Jason Taken
Lender
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied
Quote from @John Kelp:

Long story short , didn’t do my due diligence . Purchased not one but two properties from a foreclosure with no title search . Comes to find out each property has a mortgage. Combined with the price I paid through the auction, they are much higher than market value

what would you do if you were in this situation? Buy out the properties mortgages and sell it for a loss and try to minimize the total loss? Or rent out, refinance , and recoup money else where knowing what I know now .

Are these long-term investments? Are you keeping these for the long haul? Did you buy these cash or with other debt? Property 2 has a chance to get refinanced out and cover the overage on property 1 if the numbers work.

Are there any other clouds on title? Unpaid liens/taxes/etc?

User Stats

Votes
John Kelp
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Jason Taken:
Quote from @John Kelp:

Are these long-term investments? Are you keeping these for the long haul? Did you buy these cash or with other debt? Property 2 has a chance to get refinanced out and cover the overage on property 1 if the numbers work.

Are there any other clouds on title? Unpaid liens/taxes/etc?

Thanks for the reply. Purchased both with cash . There’s no other liens / clouds on title. I included the total amount of debt owed in the original post. 

I originally purchased them for a quick flip until I found out about the mortgages attached . Just trying to scope out ideas / methods to minimize loss here . 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
John Kelp
Votes |
Replied

Any other suggestions ?