Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Landon Sheveland
  • Phoenix AZ, USA
Votes |
First Time investor - Fix and Flip/Vacant Home

Landon Sheveland
  • Phoenix AZ, USA
Posted

Hey, I am looking into buying my first investment property. My goal is to fix and flip my first property. I am looking at a home that has been abandoned for awhile and is pretty run down atleast from the outside (who knows what the inside looks like). I found the owners information and am planning on reaching out. Any advice on whats the best way to reach out and any risks or tips to consider before investing in a property that needs a lot of work. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan McCombs
  • Wholesaler
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
Replied

Finding a good script or preparing one will likely help you with this endeavor. If you need one, let me know. Highly recommend calling them as any other message is likely to be ignored.

One thing to think about is the age of the home. If it was built before, say, 1960 there may be a slew of electrical work you'll need to do to stay in regulations with current times and, of course, for the safety of a future buyer.

We had a project which has hit several bumps in the road due to contractor reliability or rather lack thereof. Be sure to check their licenses and if they have reviews. Go ahead and be willing to put in the money toward a good contractor if you're not doing the work yourself. We made the mistake of thinking the person who charged less was the better option, however in the long run we spent more. Learn from our mistake.

Make a good connection at your home improvement store/outlet whatever it may be. They may have ways of offering great discounts. We have saved a ton with our connection.

Expect various delays and try to account for them as much as you can. It could be permits or some issue with the contractors which could all add to your holding costs. I'd overestimate what it will cost and the amount of time I think the project will be by at least a month to give yourself some cushioning and an idea of the margin of error you have in order to earn money.

I'm guessing you also have checked for the ARV and what houses in the area are selling for to help determine if it's worthwhile.

These are off the top of the head, so if I come up with more I'll respond again. I hope this helps and others will add more.

User Stats

Votes
Landon Sheveland
  • Phoenix AZ, USA
Votes |
  • Phoenix AZ, USA
Replied
Quote from @Ryan McCombs:

Finding a good script or preparing one will likely help you with this endeavor. If you need one, let me know. Highly recommend calling them as any other message is likely to be ignored.

One thing to think about is the age of the home. If it was built before, say, 1960 there may be a slew of electrical work you'll need to do to stay in regulations with current times and, of course, for the safety of a future buyer.

We had a project which has hit several bumps in the road due to contractor reliability or rather lack thereof. Be sure to check their licenses and if they have reviews. Go ahead and be willing to put in the money toward a good contractor if you're not doing the work yourself. We made the mistake of thinking the person who charged less was the better option, however in the long run we spent more. Learn from our mistake.

Make a good connection at your home improvement store/outlet whatever it may be. They may have ways of offering great discounts. We have saved a ton with our connection.

Expect various delays and try to account for them as much as you can. It could be permits or some issue with the contractors which could all add to your holding costs. I'd overestimate what it will cost and the amount of time I think the project will be by at least a month to give yourself some cushioning and an idea of the margin of error you have in order to earn money.

I'm guessing you also have checked for the ARV and what houses in the area are selling for to help determine if it's worthwhile.

These are off the top of the head, so if I come up with more I'll respond again. I hope this helps and others will add more.

Hey Ryan,

Thank you for sharing, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. I will definitely consider those things as I run my calculations.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hi Landon, hope everything is well. It sounds like the property will need a lot of work, if you need any help with the project i can help. I am a Painting contractor and can help with any of your needs. 

User Stats

Votes
Landon Sheveland
  • Phoenix AZ, USA
Votes |
  • Phoenix AZ, USA
Replied
Quote from @Jesse Lopez:

Hi Landon, hope everything is well. It sounds like the property will need a lot of work, if you need any help with the project i can help. I am a Painting contractor and can help with any of your needs. 

Thank you, Jesse! Will keep you in mind.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Coble
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied

Sent you a message!

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Holden
  • Real Estate Agent