Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Tim
Votes |
First Property Investment

Marcus Tim
Posted

I recently purchased a SFH in Charlotte NC with a zipcode of 28269. The asking price was 299K but I ended up getting the property for 276K (What it was appraised for). I will be doing some renovations in order for this property to be move in ready (repainting and replacing all flooring). All major repairs, such as the HVAC and roof were handled before the seller put the property on the market. My plan for the property is to house hack for 2 years max and turn it into a MTR. The property is 15 minutes away from uptown charlotte and 20 minutes away from the university. The neighborhood is nice, quiet, lawns taken care of, no junk cars sitting in driveways or the street, with a small HOA payment monthly. My main concern is the cost of turning the property into a MTR especially with this being my first property. I can always turn this into a LTR but with the current rates I would be losing money every month. For the MTR option I calculated a rent price of $2,900 (on the lower side) and got a ROI of 12% but a negative CoC return. FYI, I am banking on the equity to come in by year 2 in order for me to refinance and jump start my next investment property.

I am open to new ideas and would love insight on how this sounds or some other things I may not be thinking about.

User Stats

Votes
Manuel Llanas
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

Since i'm new myself, I can only mention some things that I have been watching and listening to. If there is a hospital nearby this place, you could turn it into a MTR for travel nurses. There is a guy on youtube called AI Williamson - Leading Landlord: Cracking the Code: Analyzing Mid-Term rentals in your local travel Nurse Market. He has some good info on it and I have thought about turning my current townhouse into a midterm with HOA, for travel nurses. Since I live less than a mile away from a hospital and clinic. this would be a perfect thing to set up. though, the amenities will have to be furnished. But AI says that the income would be decent. Also, sounds like your doing the BRRRR strategy. I'm not quite there on my current home, but looking for another property to purchase, hopefully within the year.

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie Walker
  • Realtor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied

It's great that you already purchased your first investment and have plans in mind for the future. 28269 is a good area code for MTR right now. I manage over 50 MTRs in the Charlotte market. However, things can change pretty drastically in the next two years. I'd bet that you'll be able to refinance within those two years and your returns will look better. At that point, you could decide which strategy makes the most sense. But until then, its just a guessing game! I imagine you already did this - but if not - review your CC&Rs to confirm that MTR/STR is allowable in your neighborhood. Again, this could change in the next two years but just something to be mindful of!

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Tim
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Manuel Llanas:

Since i'm new myself, I can only mention some things that I have been watching and listening to. If there is a hospital nearby this place, you could turn it into a MTR for travel nurses. There is a guy on youtube called AI Williamson - Leading Landlord: Cracking the Code: Analyzing Mid-Term rentals in your local travel Nurse Market. He has some good info on it and I have thought about turning my current townhouse into a midterm with HOA, for travel nurses. Since I live less than a mile away from a hospital and clinic. this would be a perfect thing to set up. though, the amenities will have to be furnished. But AI says that the income would be decent. Also, sounds like your doing the BRRRR strategy. I'm not quite there on my current home, but looking for another property to purchase, hopefully within the year.

Hey Manuel, I will look into Al Williamson. I appreciate the feedback and that sounds like a good plan. I initially went in with hopes of re-creating a BRRR but it may not be possible but hopeful nonetheless that rates can go down to profit more from MTR. Wishing you luck on a possible MTR and acquisition from property. Thanks again Manuel!

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Tim
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Stephanie Walker:

It's great that you already purchased your first investment and have plans in mind for the future. 28269 is a good area code for MTR right now. I manage over 50 MTRs in the Charlotte market. However, things can change pretty drastically in the next two years. I'd bet that you'll be able to refinance within those two years and your returns will look better. At that point, you could decide which strategy makes the most sense. But until then, its just a guessing game! I imagine you already did this - but if not - review your CC&Rs to confirm that MTR/STR is allowable in your neighborhood. Again, this could change in the next two years but just something to be mindful of!

Hey Stephanie, I am hopeful things change drastically for the better! I'm looking at different strategies as well so I can fall back on if things aren't looking so good in the near future. Checking the CC&Rs was definitely one of the first concerns I had when looking into this strategy and my agent was able to help me out with that. I appreciate your insight and feedback. Thank you Stephanie!

User Stats

Votes
Wyatt Wolff
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied

Agree with Stephanie. The likelihood that you will be able to refi and get some better cashflow is pretty high. In the mean time, maximize your house hack. 

The One Brokerage Logo

User Stats

Votes
Andy Bahr
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied
Quote from @Marcus Tim:

I recently purchased a SFH in Charlotte NC with a zipcode of 28269. The asking price was 299K but I ended up getting the property for 276K (What it was appraised for). I will be doing some renovations in order for this property to be move in ready (repainting and replacing all flooring). All major repairs, such as the HVAC and roof were handled before the seller put the property on the market. My plan for the property is to house hack for 2 years max and turn it into a MTR. The property is 15 minutes away from uptown charlotte and 20 minutes away from the university. The neighborhood is nice, quiet, lawns taken care of, no junk cars sitting in driveways or the street, with a small HOA payment monthly. My main concern is the cost of turning the property into a MTR especially with this being my first property. I can always turn this into a LTR but with the current rates I would be losing money every month. For the MTR option I calculated a rent price of $2,900 (on the lower side) and got a ROI of 12% but a negative CoC return. FYI, I am banking on the equity to come in by year 2 in order for me to refinance and jump start my next investment property.

I am open to new ideas and would love insight on how this sounds or some other things I may not be thinking about.

Hi Marcus,
Congrats on starting your real estate journey! As David Greene always says, house hacking is one of the best ways to get started! And going MTR is nice as it avoids the STR regulations. I would, like Stephanie referenced, check the CCRs and make sure the HOA is ok with renters. And yes, many times, doing a cashout refi, even if rates are higher, will accelerate your scaling faster. Lastly, renting by the room is a nice mix of increased cash flow and long term appreciation. If you are looking to scale and want a property manager that is doing rent by the room, "LifeDoor Rentals" is one to consider.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied

@Marcus Tim aren't you going to have to furnish the property while you live in it?

While living in it, why don't you rent out furnished rooms to generate cashflow to recover the costs of the furnishings?

Only buy stuff, even for your room, that you plan on leaving behind when you buy your next home.