Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jesus Santoyo
Votes |
Mexico Investment or Vacation Home

Jesus Santoyo
Posted

Hi All!

I wondered if anyone has invested in Mexico- I have dual citizenship- Mexico and the US. 

I would love to buy some land or a property in the Oaxaga region but wanted to learn more about financing land or RE. 

I am also curious if anyone has worked with a US bank and leveraged RE to finance RE in foreign countries- 

Will love to hear opinions, advice, and ideas on how to make this happen.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

https://yave.mx/acquisition/cross-border

User Stats

Votes
Replied

https://crossborderinvestment.com/

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Lambert
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • The Americas and Europe
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • The Americas and Europe
Replied

@Jesus Santoyo

I've been investing in Mexico since 2017 and shared my experience by replying to hundreds of posts in the BP forums.

A few points here:

1. Banks in one country won't finance a property in another country. Like many, you can use a HELOC in the US but, for an investor, that's the same as paying cash.

2. Your dual citizenship doesn't in theory give you any advantage when borrowing in Mexico. Like in the US, it's the residency and where your income is earned that matters.

3. You won't get financing for land.

4. I haven't worked with any of the two companies but that's because I've always had from developer financing and partners so I never needed it. However, I know a lot about it because I use to finance the Mexican banks as a banker and, since I put development projects together these days, I'm interested to know any new financing product available to the buyers.

Regarding the two links posted above, it's buyer beware:

a. I came across Yave but have never investigated them. I clicked on the link and their starting interest rate is 11.1%. I'm not sure you want to pay that.

b. As to the second one, they and others (not that long ago) used to advertise fixed-rate loans at 2.4% and 3.6% interest rates. The thing is the real rate was between 9 and 20% a year because of the structure of the loan, whereby the principal would actually increase over time but it wasn't mentioned in their marketing literature. I found out and checked with them that my answer was right and the answer was unashamedly "you're the first who found out!".

I have had so many people asking me for help re financing in Mexico that I'm studying whether there's a way I can get involved in that business to be able to help them.

Finally, something to bear in mind that the best deals in Mexico can be more profitable if you pay cash than a deal with a mortgage in the US. This is even more true today given the high level of US interest rates. Also, the price of a kind-like property is much lower.