Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kiran Yella
Votes |
North Carolina rental investment RTP area or Charlotte

Kiran Yella
Posted May 3 2024, 06:58

Hi All,

We are considering a rental property as new as possible either in Research Triangle park proximity or Charlotte. The goal is to be able to hold it for atleast 10 years and see what happens. So rentability is a factor for investment as well has potential to build good equity. The idea is eventually the rental income to supplement retirement. Thinking a townhome with atleast 2 bed and no more than 3 bed with 2- 2.5 bath.

So, with these factors is RTP area work? What areas near RTP would be best. I am not NC resident , I guess that complicates some things. I understand Charlotte is Finance industry area and looks quite expensive. Any advice on what area to choose ?

1. In and around RTP

2. In and around Charlotte

Always have the feeling of being late in the game....

User Stats

Votes
John O'Leary
  • Lender
  • Winter Park, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Winter Park, FL
Replied May 3 2024, 07:10

Gastonia is a great sub market of Charlotte, and is still affordable. 

User Stats

Votes
Kelly O'Keefe
  • Accountant
  • North Carolina
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • North Carolina
Replied May 3 2024, 10:50

Hi @Kiran Yella

I would recommend talking to @Avery Heilbron He is an investor and realtor in Charlotte and the triangle. He also runs a REI meetup group and as is well versed on all aspects of investing in NC

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Avery Heilbron
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh-Durham, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh-Durham, NC
Replied May 3 2024, 11:01

Thanks @Kelly O'Keefe!

@Kiran Yella I’ll send you a PM and would be happy to chat!

User Stats

Votes
Evans Wright
Agent
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied May 7 2024, 08:18

I can't speak much for the RTP area but I do know a big tech presence is starting to take fold in that area. I am located in the Charlotte area and would agree about the presence of our financial sector but also medical is a huge industry as well.

If your outlook is 10 years then going with either option will prove fruitful. There are strong macro factors to include migration, job increase, and quality of life that will be bringing people into the area for years to come. I would also add that it may seem expensive in CLT area from your point of view but for many of our new transplants it is much more affordable. It seems like 3/5 people you meet are from NY or CA and have moved here in the past 5 years. That trend will more than likely continue.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 18 2024, 10:58

Thank you @Evans Wright.
Any thoughts on the future outlook for Greensboro triad area ?
Are you referring to Apple's new campus when you mentioned Big tech presence is starting to take fold in the area.  

User Stats

Votes
River Sava
Pro Member
#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
  • USA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
  • USA
Replied Jun 18 2024, 11:02

Hey Kiran, happy to chat with you about different areas in/around Charlotte that are tailored to what you are looking to do. Feel free to send me a DM and we can connect!

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie Walker
  • Realtor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jun 18 2024, 12:01

I’m biased because I’m based out of Charlotte and can’t speak as detailed about the Raleigh market as I can about Charlotte. 
I am pretty surprised that you’re finding Charlotte to be more expensive than Raleigh. I’ve not done a ton of research comparing the two recently but my general understanding is quite the opposite. We have a few investor clients that purchase here because it’s more affordable. 

Either way, I don’t think you can go wrong buying in either area over a 10 year span.

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Carver
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jun 20 2024, 07:26

I can speak for Raleigh and the Triangle. STR and MTR work very well here. I do STR near RTP and the airport and I keep my units above 90% occupancy. I'm seeing both by the room and entire STR work great here. We have a massive influx of working professionals who need short term housing. And then we also get families visiting college students (we have 3 large ones like Duke), and tons of travelling nurses (our medical industry is large here).

User Stats

Votes
Bhargav Hirapara
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay Area
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay Area
Replied Jun 20 2024, 07:30

The RTP area, comprising cities like Raleigh, Durham, and Cary, is an attractive option for several reasons:

• Strong job market and population growth, driven by the tech, research, and education sectors, ensuring consistent rental demand.
  • More affordable home prices compared to Charlotte, allowing for better cash flow from rental income.
  • Areas like Cary, Apex, and parts of Raleigh have newer construction townhomes/condos that fit your criteria.
  • Potential for long-term equity growth, as the region is seeing steady appreciation.

Some recommended areas to consider near RTP:

• Cary (especially newer developments like Amberly)
  • Apex
  • North Raleigh
  • Durham (for slightly lower prices)

Charlotte is also a solid option, though it may be more expensive:

• Strong financial/banking sector driving job and population growth.
  • Higher home prices but potentially higher rents as well.
  • Newer townhome/condo developments in areas like Ballantyne, University City, and South End.
  • Robust long-term equity growth potential, but higher entry costs.