Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michael Martin
  • Investor
  • Youngsville, LA
Votes |
Invest money in the market or purchase 4 plex.

Michael Martin
  • Investor
  • Youngsville, LA
Posted Apr 10 2024, 13:29

Will be inheriting 90K in the near future and trying to figure out the best place to put it. My advisor wants me to put it in the market naturally. I am 55 years old in South Louisiana and have 7 other rentals. I am looking into purchasing a $165,000 4 plex in the area and thinking of putting down $33,000 towards the purchase and the remainder of the 90k in the market.  The monthly rent is $2525 with the expenses of $800 and the 30 Year note is $900 which leaves a positive cash flow of $800 monthly.  The advisor is saying that I have a lot of debt and wants me to focus on paying off some other properties with the next 10 years, I plan on retiring at 65.  

Looking for everyone's thoughts on this. 

User Stats

Votes
Denver McClure
Pro Member
  • Financial Advisor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Financial Advisor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Apr 11 2024, 08:48

Hey @Michael Martin, at 55 with a plan to retire at 65, most advisors should recommend debt pay down and more conservative investments as you enter the wealth preservation stage of life. If the 4-plex is properly analyzed, and the data suggests $800/month cash flow after vacancy, Capex, and repair budgeting, then it sounds like a solid deal. I would suggest sharing the property analysis with your advisor to he/she understands the deal and properly add it into your financial plan.

The remainder of your inheritance should be directed toward conservative assets or paying down high interest debt. That strategy should be clearly outlined by your advisor. 

Apollo Advising Logo

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
Agent
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Apr 11 2024, 09:02

Deal seems solid. 10 years is a decent amount of time but you do need to weigh paying down debt. At 65 personally I'd want debt paid down or gone but it's not bad to add some more properties. How much debt is left on the 7 properties? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Clint Galliano
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houma, LA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houma, LA
Replied Apr 22 2024, 04:05

My question is what kind of debt do you have? If it's consumer debt, that's one thing, but if it's debt on your rentals, that shouldn't matter (or at least as much). 

Make sure your advisor has a full picture of the contributions your rentals make to your finances and will make to your future finances. The proposed purchase sounds like a solid deal.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Martin
  • Investor
  • Youngsville, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Youngsville, LA
Replied Apr 23 2024, 10:55

The debt is mainly on my investment properties which is why I wasn't as concerned about the debt. I owe roughly 300k still on the rentals with a market value of 640k. 

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 23 2024, 11:30

This forum is bias towards real estate so take it all with a grain of salt.

I'm always weary of financial advisers wanting to put money into the market. The first question I always ask is "how do you get paid?" Many of these financial advisors make money based on the portfolio and/or trades made. That's why I work with a fee only advisor. 

With that said, you own 7 other rentals, what does that look like? Are they almost paid off? If so, then the risk is mitigated if you decide to buy this fourplex.

If your goal is to retire in 10 years, where are you now? Could you retire now? How far are you from achieving that goal? If you are behind and this would be your last property to ever buy, I actually would consider getting the fourplex and then put the net profits into another investment (simple as high interest savings or even into the market). Especially because in 10 years, if you need cash, you could consider a cash out refi, the tenants pay the mortgage, and you just got money tax free. 

I would also consult a CPA to get their thoughts on what makes sense in the long run. There are different tax consequences for each. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Martin
  • Investor
  • Youngsville, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Youngsville, LA
Replied Apr 23 2024, 19:17

I am not able to retire now. As I mentioned earlier, I owe 300k and book value is $640k. I think the same as you regarding putting the money in the market. Not sure what I will do but it is something I am seriously considering.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 23 2024, 20:54
Quote from @Michael Martin:

The debt is mainly on my investment properties which is why I wasn't as concerned about the debt. I owe roughly 300k still on the rentals with a market value of 640k. 

Are they cash flow positive ? Sufficient funds in case of large repairs ? If so then its really related to the investments and doesn’t effect you personally. Nothing to
worry about. 

your fourplex sounds like a good deal, although you’ve missed a few numbers. As long as those are covered and you have good cash flow I’d move on it.
the reminder of your funds could go into the market and diversify your investments. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Martin
  • Investor
  • Youngsville, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Youngsville, LA
Replied Apr 24 2024, 09:18

The 800 a month includes HOA, water, garbage and Insurance.