Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Vi Prich
Votes |
Selling rental to pay off primary

Vi Prich
Posted Feb 7 2024, 21:50

We purchased our primary residence about 1 yr ago and turned our other house into a rental. We are considering selling the rental to pay off our house.

here are the numbers:

Primary: mortgage 470k - 15 yr mortgage at 5.7% interest. 

Rental: $500k value on a 15 yr that we will pay off in 5 yrs. The mortgage is about $1200 a month. We get $2800 for rent.

The reason we want to sell is that our renters are talking a out leaving already and with the rental market cooling down, we feel anxious. The mortgage for our primary residence is pretty significant and the rental income help us pay for it.

What options should we consider? 

Thank you for your feedback!

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied Feb 7 2024, 22:12

Vi,

I would tell you to also consider doing a cash out refinance to take out enough cash to float your mortgage for 3-5 years while you build up cash reserves. Why sell it if it cash flow instead move the equity around in your favor. You could pull out $200K to $300K and Make a few extra payments a year and have that mortgage paid off in 8-9 years.

If you pay the mortgage as a Bi-weekly and add $1000 a month you will have it paid off in 9 years and it saves around $225K in interest. You can speed that time frame up by adding more per month this still allows you to keep the rental and speed up the payoff of the home and save interest at the same time.

The other benefit is both properties continue to grow in equity and offer a better long term equity position.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 7 2024, 23:22

How much of the rental income are you reliant on because $1600/month is some decent cash flow for a SFR. If you're worried about losing tenants.... I'd seek to have them re-sign the lease and let them know you will be marketing the place as available to rent if they don't... and if they don't then I'd do just that, I'd start marketing the house as available (at the date the current tenants lease ends) to get some early interest from potential renters. We listed on facebook marketplace for a higher than average rent rate and got multiple messages within a week and signed a tenant within two weeks. I wouldn't suggest lowering rent, but if the market does cool off, you have more than enough wiggle room to lower the rate and you'd still be cash flowing. I'd do my best to hold onto the asset, let the house appreciate in value, and have someone else pay your mortgage down.

If you take the rough national average of 4.8% appreciation and consider the $1200/month mortgage payment being paid by someone else.... you're looking at an equity increase of over $38,000 a year..... I'd hold.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Glen Wiley
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Feb 8 2024, 02:23

Don't sell. I have regretted every single sale we have done.

Learn more about your local rental market and the specific houses you are competing with.

Put together some long term models, 10-15-20 years and consider appreciation, rent increases etc. and make your decision based on an objective analysis of your overall financial condition over that time.

You will probably see pay increases over time, your primary will get easier to pay for and in a few years you will really appreciate the growing margin between income and expenses by keeping the rental.

User Stats

Votes
Lynn McGeein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Feb 8 2024, 04:08

@Vi Prich if you lived in the rented one 2 out of the last 5 years, you can keep up to $250,000 single or $500,000 married equity tax free. Huge consideration if you qualify for it. I’d speak to an accountant to see as it would make it worth selling.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Feb 8 2024, 04:12

How much has the value of your rental gone up since you originally bought the home?  You also need to factor in capital gains taxes as it was your primary residence first.  Run some numbers if you kept it for another 5 years vs selling it now.  You didn't mention what the interest rate is on the rental.

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
#3 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
Replied Feb 8 2024, 05:48

@Vi Prich I wouldn’t sell. Every property I own has appreciated more than $100,000 in less than 4 years. Some much much more than that.

Three months prior to the end of their lease press the tenants to either renew or give you their notice and then start marketing the heck out of the rental.

Sign new tenants and move on.

Or

Most of my tenants stay multiple years. Especially those in my houses. It’s difficult to move so unless they’re buying a house find out why they’re moving and maybe try to work with them. If it’s only a matter of a small difference of them looking for a slightly cheaper rent it may be more cost effective to lower the rent a little than to pay to turn the property over to get it ready for new tenants.

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Feb 8 2024, 06:03

@Vi Prich

well, not sure what are your taxes and insurance, but I'm guessing that eats into your remaining rent pretty well...

If you are fearful of the rental market and don't want to continue being landlords, go ahead and sell.  You are looking like conservative people as having a 15yr mortgage.  While generally properties appreciate (especially in the past 8yrs now), you never know when there will be a drop.  Also, there is the costs/headaches with owning/operating the property while it appreciates.

Sell it now, and since its only been a year you take any associated capital gain tax free.  Also, there is little depreciation you have to pay back (which could be offset by any other capital losses you may have).

Is it close that you can fully pay off the primary mortgage?  It looks kinda close just eyeballing it... If you can't fully pay it off, you can most likely ask your lender to recast the loan for a small one-time fee (e.g. $400).  That will reset the monthly payment according to the remaining principal balance.  That will take the pressure off, and you can finish paying off the loan at your leisure.

If you want to be landlords, and if you think the property will appreciate, and if you have the reserves to try, you could try renting it out for the rent that you need.  If you get it, then you keep renting it.  If you don't, then sell it.  Lots of "ifs" here.  In WA, I know/thought your property values have gone done and in general everything is softening pretty good.  No idea if thats the bottom or if it will keep going.  So, the conservative/safer play is to sell.  Otherwise, you could push a bad position.

Remember, lots of people lose money in real estate investment.  I've lost money, but luckily I've just made more than I've lost over lots of time.  Its not always all roses...

Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Vi Prich
Votes |
Replied Feb 8 2024, 06:15

All responses are really helpful. The rental has appreciated over $250k over the 10 yrs we've owned it. The interest is only 2.8% compared to 5.67 for our current house.

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Feb 8 2024, 06:32

@Vi Prich I wouldn't lose sleep over the 2.8%...  LIke I said, it sounds like you are conservative.  Also, if you extinguish all your loans, it doesn't matter what the rates are anymore...  Like i said, its all up to your preference.

User Stats

Votes
John Morgan
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Replied Feb 8 2024, 07:24

@Vi Prich

Those are great numbers. Don’t sell your rental! The rental market isn’t cooling. Market rent will keep going up. You’ll regret this big time in 5-10 years.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Feb 8 2024, 07:27
Quote from @Vi Prich:

All responses are really helpful. The rental has appreciated over $250k over the 10 yrs we've owned it. The interest is only 2.8% compared to 5.67 for our current house.

This is what I needed to know. There will be $250k in cap gain plus depreciation to recapture tax-wise.

How will an extra $300k ish affect you on your taxes next April?

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Feb 8 2024, 08:11

@Steve Vaughan the "rental property" was their primary just a year ago...  Their tax liability should be not much more than just over a 1yr of depreciation...

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Rasmussen
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied Feb 8 2024, 08:20

@Vi Prich

I think your gross rental margin is enough to justify keeping it as a rental. Just keep placing new tenants and every year with fixed mortgage amounts and increasing rents will feel more comfortable. If this experience has left you soured on owning rentals or you need to take advantage of the step up in cost basis, you can wrap your existing mortgage and sell and then you wouldn't have to feel like you wasted what is essentially now a 5 year principal only loan.

User Stats

Votes
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Feb 8 2024, 09:16
Quote from @David M.:

@Steve Vaughan the "rental property" was their primary just a year ago...  Their tax liability should be not much more than just over a 1yr of depreciation...

OK gotcha.  I'll just crawl back into my hole then. 

User Stats

Votes
Jake Baker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Feb 8 2024, 10:27

@Vi Prich

It really depends on what you plan to do with that money. 

For a new rental I analyze based on the return that we are getting with our money. - Annualized ROI

For Rentals that we hold in our portfolio, that were perhaps once BRRRRs, I analyze based on ROE - Return on Equity

There is also the peace of mind factor. Nothing wrong with having a completely paid off house. 

User Stats

Votes
Tony Savage
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Feb 8 2024, 15:14

Do not sale your Rental! When you get you mortgage paid off in less than 5 years! You will have cash flow of 2,800.00, even if you have to lower your rent a little to get it rented out its still worth holding on to. You will be able to rent your place out again.

At the end of that 5 years your will have an asset with great cash flow and solid equity!

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Feb 8 2024, 16:28
Quote from @Tony Savage:

Do not sale your Rental! When you get you mortgage paid off in less than 5 years! You will have cash flow of 2,800.00, even if you have to lower your rent a little to get it rented out its still worth holding on to. You will be able to rent your place out again.

At the end of that 5 years your will have an asset with great cash flow and solid equity!

@Tony Savage how do you figure $2800/mo of cash flow?

User Stats

Votes
John Clark#5 Wholesaling Contributor
Votes |
Replied Feb 8 2024, 16:42

What does your wife think?

User Stats

Votes
Tony Savage
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Feb 8 2024, 16:53
Quote from @David M.:
Quote from @Tony Savage:

@Tony Savage how do you figure $2800/mo of cash flow?

User Stats

Votes
Tony Savage
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Feb 8 2024, 16:56

There getting 2,800 for rent currently.  1,200 of that is going to their mortgage payment. When they pay off their mortgage.  They will have a gross cash flow of 2,800.00, no?

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Feb 8 2024, 17:01
Quote from @Tony Savage:

There getting 2,800 for rent currently.  1,200 of that is going to their mortgage payment. When they pay off their mortgage.  They will have a gross cash flow of 2,800.00, no?

@Tony Savage I would have thought there were other fixed expenses besides mortgage payment.  Its not really clear so I can't assume.  thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Carlos M.
  • Investor
  • Chesapeake City, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chesapeake City, MD
Replied Feb 9 2024, 02:27

@Vi Prich

Sell your primary home. The real issue is If you cant pay your mortgage without the help of a rental, you bought way to much house.

Selling a rental because you can’t afford your primary is a mistake. Selling the rental because you hate being a landlord is a different story l. I would Keep the rental as it’s going to continue to go up in value, the mortgage itself at its current rate is an asset, in 10 -15 years it’s going to be worth double what it is now.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals