Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Victor Chui
Votes |
Worry about brrr strategy in Ontario

Victor Chui
Posted Sep 23 2023, 15:13

Love th idea of real estate investing but isn't brrr strategy very dangerous of tenants stop paying rent. Especially in Ontario since it's protect the tenants more than landlords? 

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sverdlin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ontario + Ohio
Votes |
  • Ontario + Ohio
Replied Sep 24 2023, 09:14

Any rental brings a level of risk that an investor needs to assess and then determine whether they are comfortable with it. BRRR or not, a tenant can always stop paying rent, trash the place, bring in legal aid to their side and leave you with a bill to pay. If your comfort zone does not allow for it - either ensure that you have a wide margin of safety (hard to find, but I'm sure possible) or just do something else (flips perhaps without renting at all).

Imagine a BRRR where the house was purchased for $1 million, renovated for $200k and now its worth $1.5 million. Say your tenants stops paying rent, it takes 8 month to get them out + renovation. That could be $100k out of pocket. Are you still ahead? Yes. Can you stomach it? That's a different story.

I had water bills of $3000 left unpaid. I had a house burned down by tenants. I had tenants stop paying rent and courts taking 9 months to get them out. Still glad I am in the real estate game. Its all in the numbers. By the way 9 months to evict can happen ANYWHERE, not just in Ontario. My biggest delay was in US where laws are landlord friendly. All it takes is for the tenant to get legal aid on their side and a friendly judge. Go figure.

User Stats

Votes
Victor Chui
Votes |
Replied Oct 14 2023, 12:03
Quote from @Paul Sverdlin:

Any rental brings a level of risk that an investor needs to assess and then determine whether they are comfortable with it. BRRR or not, a tenant can always stop paying rent, trash the place, bring in legal aid to their side and leave you with a bill to pay. If your comfort zone does not allow for it - either ensure that you have a wide margin of safety (hard to find, but I'm sure possible) or just do something else (flips perhaps without renting at all).

Imagine a BRRR where the house was purchased for $1 million, renovated for $200k and now its worth $1.5 million. Say your tenants stops paying rent, it takes 8 month to get them out + renovation. That could be $100k out of pocket. Are you still ahead? Yes. Can you stomach it? That's a different story.

I had water bills of $3000 left unpaid. I had a house burned down by tenants. I had tenants stop paying rent and courts taking 9 months to get them out. Still glad I am in the real estate game. Its all in the numbers. By the way 9 months to evict can happen ANYWHERE, not just in Ontario. My biggest delay was in US where laws are landlord friendly. All it takes is for the tenant to get legal aid on their side and a friendly judge. Go figure.

Thank you the perspective, completely agree there is risk regardless of the method.

any insight on how to buy right and get good purchase price so I can start my BRRRR ?

cause all mls listings are not fixer uppers so hard to buy right and rebab in order to refinance. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Ruben Solano
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Guelph, Ontario
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Guelph, Ontario
Replied Oct 15 2023, 18:48

The BRRR strategy can be tough in Ontario for multiple reasons. Obviously, you have the prices being what they are, banks having rigorous regulations for investors (this isn't mutually exclusive to Ontario) and the LTB really favors tenants so your concern is very valid. That being said there are many ways you can make this strategy work. It seems like your biggest concern is the tenant not paying rent. You can use the BRRR strategy combined with a student rental approach so that the tenants don't fall under the RTA, meaning easier eviction if they don't pay rent.

Also, I would recommend looking at off-market properties, that's where I am finding the best deals for any reno projects. 

User Stats

Votes
Paul Sverdlin
  • Ontario + Ohio
Votes |
  • Ontario + Ohio
Replied Oct 17 2023, 05:29
Quote from @Ruben Solano:

That being said there are many ways you can make this strategy work. It seems like your biggest concern is the tenant not paying rent. You can use the BRRR strategy combined with a student rental approach so that the tenants don't fall under the RTA, meaning easier eviction if they don't pay rent.

Also, I would recommend looking at off-market properties, that's where I am finding the best deals for any reno projects. 

Hi Ruben, RTA does apply to students. It only excludes students living in the school-provided accomodation like a dormitory.

Could you please elaborate on how you are finding off-market deals in Ontario. There are lots of strategies out there, I am curious to see which ones work in today's market for you.

Thanks!