Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Trading up? When is it a good time to let go

Posted Aug 17 2023, 09:09

I bought two duplexes right next to each other in the town I live in. I was able to get a deal on the properties and BRRR'd my way to my next deal. True cashflow is roughly 500 each property. PP for one was $110k rehab was $50k and ARV is $260k. The one next door PP is $165k rehab $5k ARV $265k. I planned on buying and holding but I have had another big deal pop up. PP $1.3mm ability to be fully rented as is but over the next 10 years will need roughly $200k in rehab ARV $1.7mm. This deal consists of 4 buildings totaling 17 units. true Cashflow right now is roughly $100 per door however there is tons of opportunity to decrease expenses over time.

My question is that I need more money to cover the down payment so I was considering a 1031 exchange into this new deal. I feel like the true cashflow from the property still makes it a solid deal to hold on to but I am not really sure at the best way to calculate the missed opportunity cost if I was to sell them now vs hold them long term. 

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Aug 18 2023, 10:57

@Andrew Bermani-McCann, return on equity comparison will probably be the closest way to estimate opportunity cost of holding vs selling.  Cash on cash doesn't represent tomorrow's return when rehabbing.  And guessing appreciation is tough.  Amortization will be consistent depending on when you bought those other two.