Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Bobby Dailey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Investments in Alabama small towns?

Bobby Dailey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Posted Jun 26 2023, 14:15

I'm considering a few opportunities for investing in the Alabama market. Which of the following small towns would be the best bet for future appreciation: Jasper, Clanton, Eva, Oak Grove? 

User Stats

Votes
Greg Parker
Property Manager
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Montgomery, AL
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Montgomery, AL
Replied Jun 26 2023, 18:19

Jasper is probably your best bet with Birmingham commuters.  Clanton is halfway between Bham and MGM, so it gets commuters both ways.  

User Stats

Votes
Bobby Dailey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Jun 27 2023, 07:38

Thanks for the feedback Greg.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Thomas
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Alabama
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Alabama
Replied Jun 27 2023, 09:42

@Bobby Dailey I would also suggest small towns outside of Mobile and Baldwin Counties. 

Bay Minette, Loxley, Silverhill, Robertsdale, Summerdale, etc. for Baldwin County. It is one of the fastest growing counties in America. There are only a certain number of homes that can be built new the beaches or Eastern Shore waterfront communities. The expansion is headed out to more rural areas.

Grand Bay and Theodore are smaller rural areas outside of Mobile off the i10 Interstate. Anyone traveling West to Louisiana and Texas would pass through here. Many travelers headed East to Florida would go through there too.

User Stats

Votes
Bobby Dailey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Jun 27 2023, 10:12

@Dylan Thomas that's great information. Thank you for the feedback. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Fair
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Birmingham
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Birmingham
Replied Jun 27 2023, 11:41

Jasper also is very close to Smith Lake - a beautiful lake that is a popular place to vacation. 

User Stats

Votes
Bernard Joseph S.
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Replied Jun 27 2023, 12:24

Baldwin County AL is an excellent choice but everybody knows about it now. The deals are harder to find in my experience but they exist. I'm actively looking for property there to go along with my Florida investments. Can't beat the Southeast to both live and invest...

User Stats

Votes
Bobby Dailey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Jun 27 2023, 13:11

@Dylan Thomas @Bernard Joseph S. Thank you both for the feedback. Baldwin County seems to be popular, would you say the town of Foley has potential?

User Stats

Votes
Bernard Joseph S.
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Replied Jun 27 2023, 13:24
Quote from @Bobby Dailey:

@Dylan Thomas @Bernard Joseph S. Thank you both for the feedback. Baldwin County seems to be popular, would you say the town of Foley has potential?

Dylan would know better than me since he lives down there but from my visits, Foley is in a good location. Closer to the gulf then to Mobile and the Eastern Shore towns. Lots of new construction but that's everywhere in Baldwin. It's all about the deal no matter where you choose right? Feel free to reach out anytime if you want to discuss Bobby. 

User Stats

Votes
Ben Scarborough
  • Realtor
  • Gulf Shores, AL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Gulf Shores, AL
Replied Jun 27 2023, 18:35

Foley is growing at a rapid pace. Several families from the midwest seem to be coming in. Also, very close to one of the top beaches in the southeast (Gulf Shores)! Happy to discuss some with you if you are interested.

-Ben Scarborough

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Broyles
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cullman, AL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cullman, AL
Replied Jun 28 2023, 05:50

@Bobby Dailey

Hi Bob,

We live and invest in Cullman which is also right by Smith Lake. We are also 40 minutes to Huntsville and 40 minutes to Birmingham and right off I-65. We are experiencing a lot of residential and commercial growth here as well. Happy to help you if I can.

User Stats

Votes
Dylan Thomas
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Alabama
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Alabama
Replied Jun 28 2023, 07:38

@Bobby Dailey Foley can be a good spot for sure. It sounded like you were looking for something smaller so I did not mention it. Foley is basically the first city you get to once you get away from the beaches. It has always been more of a touristy area because of that. Now that expansion is having to move away from the beach areas, Foley has started exploding. There is new construction everywhere it seems. 

So, there may still be opportunity for sure, but if you're looking for something to get into before the boom I would stick with the areas I mentioned above. But, I also think there is still opportunity so it comes down more to your strategy and interests

User Stats

Votes
Michael S.
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jun 28 2023, 12:41

@Bobby Dailey - just to give a different perspective, for future appreciation of significance, I personally would not consider any of those four locations you noted (Jasper, Clanton, Eva, Oak Grove). That said, I think Cullman and Foley were much better ideas for appreciation plays.  I think Athens also has more potential for appreciation than the locations you noted if you want a small city location.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
John Jasko
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 21 2024, 12:36

Looking into AL market as well.  Have you had any success?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Piechocki
  • Atmore, AL
Votes |
  • Atmore, AL
Replied Apr 25 2024, 04:49

Curious about progress as well @Bobby Dailey. I'm based in Atmore, AL and currently looking in Bay Minette, Atmore, and Mobile. Atmore is basically out of convenience, as I don't feel like the market will appreciate like others but cash flowing rentals are attainable.