Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
MARK S KING
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • NC
Votes |
Best State/City for Section 8

MARK S KING
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • NC
Posted Jan 24 2023, 08:55

Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 23 2024, 08:32
Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

I have three tenants on Section 8. For a 3 bed/1bath home you can easily get $1,300/mo here in Detroit. And numbers I believe are up to $1,650/mo (or something like that) if you include utilities. I know they adjusted voucher limits higher again this year and we'll be pushing for increases on ours when they come up for renewal.

Is there a specific area in Detroit you buy in for section 8 rental? I’m in Utah, not familiar with that area. I’m looking to buy my first rental for 110k or less, is that budget going to get me a place out there that will actually be rented out every month?

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied Jun 23 2024, 10:39
Quote from @Cole Brittner:
Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

I have three tenants on Section 8. For a 3 bed/1bath home you can easily get $1,300/mo here in Detroit. And numbers I believe are up to $1,650/mo (or something like that) if you include utilities. I know they adjusted voucher limits higher again this year and we'll be pushing for increases on ours when they come up for renewal.

Is there a specific area in Detroit you buy in for section 8 rental? I’m in Utah, not familiar with that area. I’m looking to buy my first rental for 110k or less, is that budget going to get me a place out there that will actually be rented out every month?

Yes, that's a budget that will get you into a decent area for SFH. I'm assuming you're talking $110k cash and not an amount you'd be pre-approved for?

Finding solid deals on the MLS that you can finance up-front is more challenging but still doable. I generally focus on off-market stuff where we can add value though.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jun 24 2024, 06:16

@Cole Brittner we've helped hundreds of investors buy in Detroit the RIGHT way and avoid scams.

Detroit has too many variables to invest by zip code, so we've ranked all 183 Detroit Neighborhoods by Class A, B, C & D!

Because Detroit is actually Block-By-Block in many areas, we also take videos for our clients before they buy.

Let us know how we can help you invest for success in Detroit...

User Stats

Votes
Regina Blake
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jun 26 2024, 00:59

Hi, yes, check out Ohio! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 26 2024, 07:45

I can't speak on other markets, but I work with a lot of investors that exclusively look for section 8 deals in the Pittsburgh market! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 27 2024, 04:40
Quote from @Joseph Beatty:

I can't speak on other markets, but I work with a lot of investors that exclusively look for section 8 deals in the Pittsburgh market! 

I live in northern NJ and Interested in the Pittsburg market for section 8 rentals.  Are you a broker? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 27 2024, 07:35
Quote from @Michael Bishay:
Quote from @Joseph Beatty:

I live in northern NJ and Interested in the Pittsburg market for section 8 rentals.  Are you a broker? 

Hey Michael, I'm not a broker, but I am a licensed agent, and we come across section 8 rental properties pretty often. Happy to connect and talk more about the current market. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 13 2024, 13:06
Quote from @Jimmy Lieu:
Quote from @MARK S KING:

Hello, any input on the best market for section 8? Looking for a way to analyze the highest allowance from Sec8 vs the lowest priced homes, wondering where you can get the most bang for your buck. I have heard the target is at least 400-500 per month net positive cash flow based on 20% down. Where are you seeing opportunities? Thank you!

Hi Mark, Columbus Ohio is a great market for section 8 rentals. I really see Columbus Ohio as an extremely safe bet for the next 10-20 years. Plus, there's still so many positive cash flowing and 1% deals here in Columbus Ohio. Just this month, I’ve gotten under contract for my clients for multiple 20%+ cash on cash rental properties so there’s definitely tons of opportunity here. As a local investor and agent here in Columbus, let me know if you have any questions or want to connect!

Hey Jimmy. Just coming upon this thread. Wondering how's the current market in Columbus with section 8, rent to price ratios, ect? It is still looking strong like it was a year ago when you made wrote this? I appreciate your input. Thanks!     

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Aug 14 2024, 18:44
Quote from @Samuel Qandah:
Quote from @Jimmy Lieu:
Quote from @MARK S KING:

Hi Mark, Columbus Ohio is a great market for section 8 rentals. I really see Columbus Ohio as an extremely safe bet for the next 10-20 years. Plus, there's still so many positive cash flowing and 1% deals here in Columbus Ohio. Just this month, I’ve gotten under contract for my clients for multiple 20%+ cash on cash rental properties so there’s definitely tons of opportunity here. As a local investor and agent here in Columbus, let me know if you have any questions or want to connect!

Hey Jimmy. Just coming upon this thread. Wondering how's the current market in Columbus with section 8, rent to price ratios, ect? It is still looking strong like it was a year ago when you made wrote this? I appreciate your input. Thanks!     

Hi Samuel, yup the current market of Columbus Ohio is still great and able to find tons of deals that hit the 1% rule and positive cash flow. If you're working with section 8, you're able to cash flow even better than normal LTRs because you can typically charge higher the standard market rents. I have tons of real estate clients who have crazy cash flowing rentals that are killing it because they accept section 8 as well. Definitely should check out the market here because you get an amazing mix of cash flow and appreciation. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have! :)