SF Bay Area Housing Prices Suffer Largest OneMonth Drop On Record

SF Bay Area Housing Prices Suffer Largest OneMonth Drop On Record

Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Looks like some markets are begining to feel the effects of higher interest rates, a "non-recession" recession, and loss of confidence in the job market. I'm sure it's just temporary & will heal like pulling a scab off your face, but it will sure look ugly.

--------------------------------------------

In fact, housing prices in the nine-county region suffered their largest one-month drop on record, falling 7% from May to June, with median prices of existing single-family houses dropping from $1.5 million to $1.4 million, according to the , citing the California Association of Realtors.

"From this point on we probably won’t see another record price, at least for this year, for either the Bay Area or for the state," said Oscar Wei, deputy chief economist with the California Association of Realtors, who noted that it's uncommon to see such a sharp decline in June - which is typically the busy summer home-buying season.

1Reply
155 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
4y

San Francisco is a cyclical market. It has large run ups, then receeds a little, then large run ups again. Always been that way.

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Osazee Edebiri:

    That happens of course, but overall the population decline continues. Hence the recent loss of House seats and EC votes.

    I don't want to hijack this thread with politics, but if you want more real numbers, I have them and will PM them to you.


  • Realtor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 318 posts · 154 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Osazee Edebiri:

    That happens of course, but overall the population decline continues. Hence the recent loss of House seats and EC votes.

    I don't want to hijack this thread with politics, but if you want more real numbers, I have them and will PM them to you.



     Appreciate that I am certain the numbers sustain, I guess I am just not worried about the decline at this moment, as I believe future adjustments will come that will increase the values. If the value never grow again, then pivot, but it seems highly unlikely.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Naveed Q.:

    You're talking business and yes, CA is still strong. I'm talking purely population and what those losses will mean from a Real Estate standpoint. I have ample numbers to throw at you if you're interested, but as I said before this doesn't need to turn political, which it will. Just accept the fact that Cali is losing population and probably will continue to......


  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Osazee Edebiri:

    Oh, I'm not saying that property values will drop in Cali. Well..... maybe in San Fran since it is going in the toilet. But areas like SoCal, where the weather is insanely beautiful will always have huge demand. Maybe the population within the state itself will shift, who knows...? But I don't think that losing population will necessarily decrease property values, no way....

  • Rental Property Investor · Cockeysville, MD · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 16 votes
    4y

    @Mike Hern probably thee most risky market in America right now. The lawlessness, homelessness, looting, etc... Im wishing you great prosperity!!!

  • Realtor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 318 posts · 154 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Osazee Edebiri:

    Oh, I'm not saying that property values will drop in Cali. Well..... maybe in San Fran since it is going in the toilet. But areas like SoCal, where the weather is insanely beautiful will always have huge demand. Maybe the population within the state itself will shift, who knows...? But I don't think that losing population will necessarily decrease property values, no way....


     Yes, I understood what you meant and I agree, although the Bay Area is way more than just SF and the other areas have LAish weather. Actually a lot of SF the city doesn't have great weather with its micro-climates. 

    Even if prices drop they will go up, with some corrections, wether the corrections come from city management or peoples influence do to the way they purchase real estate. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Osazee Edebiri:

    Yep, I know, one of my sons went to SFSU. Lived over in Outer Sunset area..... Horrible weather


  • Realtor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 318 posts · 154 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Osazee Edebiri:

    Yep, I know, one of my sons went to SFSU. Lived over in Outer Sunset area..... Horrible weather



     HAHA

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Everyone here in BP knows that real estate only goes up.  And while in the past people have bought for cashflow today and probably in the future you get rich from buying stuff that doesn't pencil but the rents will increase soon and the appreciation will go up as it always does.  

    I don't know, every time I think I might have this real estate investing figured out something happens.  But if I had to guess real estate will be cheaper in a year then it is today.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    Reports are showing that prices are slowing around the country. Some cities are going to feel it more than others, some faster than others. I anticipate prices will drop back to where they were in 2020, maybe even lower.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    I anticipate prices will drop back to where they were in 2020, maybe even lower.


     I would take the under on that one.....

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    This is happening in a lot of the crazy hot areas where buying a house is more expensive then renting and investment properties sell at sub 4 cap rates. My parents in FL told me they are seeing the same thing at some of the higher end price points there it is starting to actually fall. 

    In Chicago we have seen 0 price decreases but we also never saw the crazy appreciation (we appreciated maybe half what FL and Cali markets did). In the desirable areas for young people like Avondale, Logan Square, etc. prices are still going up but at a slower and what I believe more "normal" pace. 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 352 posts · 176 votes
    4y

    if a property doesn't rent for close to what the cost of ownership is people should be asking themselves, "what exactly am I buying here?.. and why?"

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.