Votes
Russ DeWolfe
  • Denton, TX
Votes |
Mobile Home Roof Problem

Russ DeWolfe
  • Denton, TX
Posted Jun 25 2013, 13:03

I have recently purchased a fannie mae foreclosed mobile home to rent out. The roof is sagging in a spot that is about 10'X10'. The roof was replaced 2 years ago by a roofer that says he was only paid to fix about a 10' section of rafters. He says he advised the insurance company and the homeowner at the time that the gang nails were old and giving way, but they refused to fix any more rafters to completely stabalize the roof. He says that it is considered a manufactures defect and they would not cover it. The roofer that worked on it previously says the whole roof needs to come off and repairs need to be made to all rafters and the roof put back on. He says this could be 10K or so. Another roofer has suggested using the load bearing portions of the home to build a 2nd roof on top of this one and says it would not cause more stress to the existing roof/rafters and this is a good solution rather than tearing off the old roof. But I am not sure how this would be possible or if there might even be another alternative out there. The mobile home that is on a foundation now is only worth about 13K, but if I leveled it I would now have to go back with a regular home due to new local restrictions.

Loading replies...